Find Reliable and Valid pre-post assessment?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by dagger2006, Jul 10, 2019.

1. dagger2006

dagger2006 New Member

Jul 10, 2019

I'm a high school math teacher. I enjoy trying new methods but I'm very much a numbers person and would like actionable data to determine the success of new lessons compared to old ones. Are there any RELIABLE and VALID pre/post assessments that I can give my students that are recognized as that. I know reliable and valid are the key things that are looked at in education pedagogy and I would like the data I collect to be as legitimate to outside peers as possible.

To add some reason to this question is that I sometimes like to try unconventional methods or methods that are outside the norm for my particular school. I believe I make good assessments myself, but often times when talking to other professionals, those results are disregarded for various reasons such as test bias (I am writing the tests to test something I like) or credibility on my own ability to write reliable and valid tests and such.

Specifically I would like to find a resource that allows me to get reliable and valid pre and post assessments for all high school math classes that I can give for example at the beginning and end of every semester or quarter. Thanks!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 11, 2019

Have you considered using warm-ups and exit tickets? Short-cycle assessments (SCAs) may prove more useful to you than anything overarching. You can quickly figure out if your lessons are making sense to them and where, if needed, you need to get them back on track. If you really want to do something quarterly, see if you can find a state assessment that has questions for the material you'll cover. Give the same assessment at the end and look for growth / problems.

4. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Jul 16, 2019

In Physics, we give the "Force Concept Inventory", which is a reliable and validated exam. We also have the Lawson test of Scientific Reasoning and other reliable and validated exams. The AAPT (American Association of Physics Teachers) posts those on their secure site. They can't be shared.

I believe math has a similar organization - the AMTE (Association of Math Teacher Educators). You could try googling that, looking around on their site, or reach out to them directly and ask where they keep those exams.

5. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Jul 16, 2019

He is looking for "Reliable and Validated" exams.It's something used in educational research when creating instruments such as surveys, exams, etc.
    Reliability is the degree to which an assessment produces stable and consistent results. Validity refers to how well a test measures what it is purported to measure. Exit tickets don't fall under either unless they specifically go through the process of validity and reliability.
    https://chfasoa.uni.edu/reliabilityandvalidity.htm