Financial hardship denied! I must call in for jury duty

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by oldstudent, Nov 1, 2010.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Nov 1, 2010

:mad:

Out of the 12 months, there are only three for which subs must claim financial hardship. We can serve when summoned during some of June, along with July and August, or if summoned in January through May, we can file for a six month extension into the summer.

It is only during September, October, and November, that we must file for financial hardship, and as luck would have it, I was summoned for mid October.

I wrote that I cannot afford to lose an average of $125/day for each day served because I was already on a low income and only get paid the days I work. I added that I would happy to serve during the summer.

Today I got a new summons denying me financial hardship. However, at least my new date is December 20, the beginning of winter break.
    I would like to know if anyone knows the probability of getting on a case that lasts more than two weeks?
    Should I be concerned, or is it a long shot this will happen?

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2010

Well, I just went through jury duty. Once we all squashed into the jury room (oh, about 100 of us), the judge asked if anyone had any reasons why they couldn't serve. A lot of people were dismissed due to financial hardhsip. She heard each of their cases one at a time and dismissed each one of them. There were about 20 of them.

Then, if you are one of the lucky ones who gets called up as either the 12 jurors or one of the 6 alternates, than you can hope that you will be dismissed for not being an impartial juror. I was dismissed because of my views on using witnesses as your only evidence (sorry, but witnesses are notorious for getting information and details wrong).

My hubby was actually picked as a juror and his case was 4 days long. This case that I was dismissed from was only 2 days long. And then you have cases that lasts from a few days up to a few months. It's really hard to tell how long they will last. Here's hoping that you will get dismissed!

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 1, 2010

I've never made it past the first day....for some reason, lawyers don't like mathematicians.....

Sorry, I can't be of any help. :(

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2010

When the judge asked what I did, I said I was a math resource teacher. She said, interesting, really slowly. I agree. We're too analytical.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 1, 2010

My hubby got what a think is something like a pre-summons last month. It asked a bunch of questions, so I wonder if he's going to get called soon.

But, soon is relative...in our county, we get actual jury trials once every, oh, blue moon...

7. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Nov 1, 2010

Sorry I can't help and you probably wouldn't want my help. I was excused from jury duty permanently, for life, because of my mental state at the time. They didn't need me to show up, I just sent in medical records/doctor statements and they were like you are excused forever. :wow:

It's ironic because it my younger and healthier days I couldn't wait to serve jury duty because I was so pro-social justice and opinionated about everything and everyone said I'd be a good lawyer (yeah right), because I loved to argue and debate back in my younger days.

I know it's frustrating for you, but I hope someone can help you.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 2, 2010

Well, back when I was a special ed teacher, I was picked on a case that lasted 2 mos! Of course back, then I got paid my full teacher salary either way, so it was fabulous. But, I'd sure hate to have to report to jury duty these days when I need all the subbing work I can get. I believe in my area, once you're on a case, they'll pay you up to about $15/day for gas.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2010

I think the odds are in your favor because of Christmas week. I think that VERY LITTLE gets done between December 15 and New Years.

No guarantee, but I imagine the timing is very good.

I think that someone in the scheduling office saw your issue, and did all within his power to help you out.

10. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Nov 2, 2010

Random question... if I'm not registered to vote, can I be called for jury duty? Isn't that where they get names from?

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2010

In our state, juries are picked from the driver license rolls.

AND...a pet peeve of mine...why aren't you registered to vote?

12. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Nov 2, 2010

The little town I teach in has teachers called for jury duty all the time; however, I actually live in the next town over and have never been called in five years. I agree with the poster that said not much happens during break, so hopefully you will not have to worry.

13. gossamer

gossamer Rookie

Nov 2, 2010

My husband (a lawyer) says the best way to get out of Jury Duty is be sure to have an opinion when they start Voire Dire.

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 2, 2010

I've been once. I sat in the room most of the day until being called for a trial around 2:00. It was a traffic case 9sometihng involvin the insurance companies, I think, about who was at fault when someone turned from the wrong lane without signaling). I didn't have a license at the time (I didn't WANT to drive because of a hideous drivers ed experience) so they either pulled names off people with state IDs or voter registration along with licenses.

The case didn't last very long, we were done the same afternoon.

15. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Nov 2, 2010

I would just ...not lie per se....but answer in a way that they are weary of having you on the jury : P that way you can get out of it! = D

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 2, 2010

Tell them you're a math teacher!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2010

I've served many times, even been picked once or twice, but always eliminated during the voire dire. (And, no, not intentionally. I think it's important to get a decent jury, so I wouldn't ever do that.)

Maybe it's the math teacher thing.

18. uncleal

uncleal Rookie

Nov 2, 2010

I had jury duty yesterday and was waiting till 4 p.m. to be excused. If you can explain in any way that your opinion would be biased to the case, then you will most likely be excused.

19. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 3, 2010