Finally! Windows Movie Maker and I are now officially friends.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2008

I finally have mastered this program! I never really used it before this week, but I incorporated Audacity and made a 1.5 minute news show about early explorers. I even got myself in there... somehow. (I am not uploading it until after this technology training/conference is done, though!) :)

Who else has made a video before? I discovered after some tinkering around that I pretty much understood everything quickly.

3. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

Uhhhhh......mmmmmmm.....hhhhmmmmm....
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2008

I'd love to be able to make some videos. Maybe once you've completed yours, share and give some tips. I'm anxious to see what you've done.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2008

? :confused:, also.

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 25, 2008

I made a movie about classroom procedures. I posted on here last year I think. Your right, Mrs. Jasztal, Movie Maker is very user friendly. I can't wait to see it when your done.:)

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2008

I really have to learn how to use it this year. Most of our students are pretty proficient in it--maybe I can get them to teach me!

8. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

I've used Movie Maker and PhotoStory to make videos with my students. I find that Movie Maker is the most user-friendly of the two and that the kids pick up on how to use it very quickly. One piece of advice with Movie Maker is to save often. I find that it freezes up at times and hate to lose all of my work because of that.

9. Audrey41

Audrey41 Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

I tried out MovieMaker for the first time this year and it's fantastic!! It took me a little while to figure out all the features but it was worth the time. My kindergarten class this year celebrated Mother's Day by making a movie and inviting their Moms in to school for a "Matinee with Mom". I interviewed the children about their Moms and taught them a dance to the Abba song Mama Mia. The kids LOVED being moviestars! It was easy to put the movie together with MovieMaker and add extra features (credits, titles, music). I even used the program for the graduation slideshow instead of Powerpoint. The possibilities are endless with this program. Love it!!

10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

Can you repost your procedure video. I would love to see it.

11. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jul 27, 2008

Like Calalilys, I've used both Movie Maker and Photostory for making slide shows/videos. If it's just a slide show, Photostory is incredibly simple and it allows you to zoom in/out on photos (whereas MM doesn't). Very, very user-friendly. Free download from Microsoft.

Movie Maker has its bells and whistles but it also has its issues. You may be friends with it now but wait until you start using it on a regular basis. The freezing is probably the biggest issue so yes, save often. One way to reduce the freezing is to go into Tools > Options and under the Compatibility tab, uncheck everything in the boxes. That will help, though the occasional lock up might still occur. The bigger the project gets, the more likely you're going to have slow downs and freezing (FYI). There are often timing issues when inserting text, banners or music so be forewarned.

What I like about MM more than Photostory is that you can add photos and video (Photostory is strictly photos). Throughout the year, I'll take pictures and video clips of things we do at school and then build it all into a year-end video with music. I also burn copies for each of my students; something of a video yearbook. I also use it for the grade eight graduation and school-related slide shows.

I'm looking for some sort of software that combines the tools of MM and Photostory but haven't found anything yet. I'm reluctant to buy a product that I can't return so I almost need a glowing recommendation to commit to buying a new program. If anyone can suggest something, let me know.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 27, 2008

It was fun bringing in files from Audacity into MovieMaker.

My movie is done, but I'm not ready to upload it yet, seeing it's my very first one.

13. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 27, 2008

As with everyone else, I do enjoy MovieMaker. My students do well with it to, which makes it easier for me to do tech-based projects. Now, if I can get them to be fine with each take they use with the camcorder...