Finally, we started!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissFroggy, Sep 6, 2007.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 6, 2007

I totally work myself up over the summer, worrying, over planning, going nuts... (We develop our own curriculum so I am ALL over the place trying to get things lined up and I knew almost all the kids, which gave me a whole other set of worries.)

Bright spots-- my students that looped up with me visited the day before school started and were very out of sorts... they came in happy, helpful and ready to roll. Phew... I was thinking they were cranky about having me as their teacher again! LOL!

The new kids are blending in and quickly making friends. I took a class picture and the girls all had their arms around each other-- a good sign to start-- though with this age, friendships are precarious, so I will hope for the best

No social conflicts yet (!)

One boy I was very worried about academically and socially decided to start a newspaper, and got the other boys on board... they were drafting ideas for articles during writer's workshop and all got started on their first articles before the period was up

I ended up whipping through today's planned lessons, and half of tomorrows. They were so quick to get started on things.

We were able to problem solve and have reasonable conversations (last year's group couldn't do this without someone cracking jokes or making silly comments!) We divvied up class jobs, worked out some rules about the reading area, came up with noise guidelines, etc.... all with great discussions, thoughtful comments, etc.

They are a QUIET group. I gave them free choice and run of the game shelf when they finished math today-- nope, they almost all got out books and read instead.

Now hopefully they will all stay this way!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2007

Wow! Sounds like you have a great group! Let's hope it stays that way!

4. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Sep 7, 2007

Sounds like a dream class, congrats!

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2007

How funny about the quiet- my group is totally that way this year. They are not quiet anywhere else, but when I give them work to do (even centers)- they are pretty much silent. It is so weird!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2007

Sounds like a great class!! I hope that you and the kiddos continue to enjoy the school year.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 7, 2007

The kids seemed happy again today, but I had to stop a few times do go over Give Me Five again. There is also one boy who will just talk even when I am talking (the same one I was worried about before) and is always the last cleaned up or to sit down, or whatever we are working on.

Anyway, I think the class is fantastic, but next week I will have to keep going on the expectations for coming in from outside, my calling attention, etc. They were not so quiet today, and the girls all found a new best friends, which left the old best friends scrambling for another friend as well. I only have 6 girls so I predict this will happen all year.