Finally Starting, Now Freaking Out

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Xcop, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Xcop

Xcop Rookie

Dec 2, 2009

Finally starting orientation throughout the county school board today, was told Thursday I will be able to set my classroom up, and Friday get my students.

One day to set up, I was hoping for the weekend, so I could have my BF come help, I have a lot to do, and sure I'm not even thinking about everything. Like my BF asked what I was going to teach on Friday when I have my class. Well I thought it would be basically a day to get to know each other.

I want to introduce myself, have my students introduce their selves to me, discus classroom rules and consequences, discus classroom procedures. I know one day will not be enough, but at least get them to introduced to them. I have same foam people I want them to make for my AR board, their really cute and the kids can make them look like them. I have some reading and Math games I am planning on using for centers so I thought I would split the kids up and let them play the games a little, plus they will be getting some reading and math in for the day.

How does that sound for the first day, I have no idea really what they are even on Curriculum wise, guess I will find out Thursday while I am at the school. But actual lesson plans I feel so lost right now. :confused:

Any ideas out there?? Just want to look like I have a glue, and not have the other 2nd grade teachers feel like the principal should have hired someone with experience.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2009

Hi and welcome!

You WILL look as though you have a clue, simply because you're the teacher.

Go in with a plan-- what you've outlined sounds great- and lots of patience and a willingness to go with the flow. Use Friday to figure out something more concrete, and spend the weekned getting it together.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 2, 2009

I'm so glad you're here, it's a wonderful way to start out a new career with this forum to help you. I wish I'd had a place like this to bounce ideas off of. xcop, Start establishing your routines as quickly as possible. Check out the "Professional Groups" on this forum and look for "Whole Brain Teaching".

Good luck!

5. shortee

shortee Companion

Dec 2, 2009

Xcop, good luck tomorrow. You'll do great. Let us all know how it goes. What county are you in?

6. round stanley

round stanley Companion

Dec 4, 2009

some resources to use

I hope your first day went well. They usually do because the kids are more off balance than you are. This weekend you need to start really planning use sites like this one, e-l-s at yahoo groups, teachershare.scholastic.com, and even your TE. The more you plan the more you will be able to control the class. Be ready to move from one activity to another because they don't all work and you need to keep moving. Remember, the kids don't know the schedule, you do. So if you need to change things around, don't stress, just do it. Really work on classroom management. Saying a rule or explaining a procedure once just won't cut it. Repeat and practice, repeat and practice.