Finally started training at new school and....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wldywall, Sep 2, 2015.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2015

Oh my goodness.....

I am not allowed to use any supplementary materials, none, not even my own math manipulatives.

Supposedly I am to remediate my SPED kids needs with other lessons from other grades. Which I do not see as possible in all cases....so if a fifth grader needs more work on ratios and fractions, where am I going to find a comparable lesson? Second grade?????

Also I still don't know who my students will be on my case load (a general idea), I don't have a schedule, other than two weeks of scripted lessons I am to teach for my hypothetical homeroom that I may or may not have, I will find out next week......I may be teaching a reading class, again scripted, I may be doing push in as well.....

Some one kill me......I usually have more planning done at this point, right now I will just settle knowing if I have any IEP's due in September. NO wonder my company can't keep teachers in this school.

Did I mention the whole staff is related in some way, knows each other, goes to the same church and I am the only catholic surrounded by fundamentalists? I feel so out of place.......advice on how to deal with the uncertainty.

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2015

Gah, other than only using scripted lessons to meet goals (which is silly and the company I work for said ifi have to supplement do so) ....

I think the problem is me. It occurred to me last night I'm terrified of meeting new people and working in New situations.I always adjust, but it takes most of the school year to feel comfortable...so what I really need to know is how to speed that process along. I hate feeling out of place and lime I don't belong for months. I am my own worst enemy it seems

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 3, 2015

When my kids were young and went to a school that cebrated Reformation Day, I, as a Catholic, felt very out of place. The kids had to dress up as a bible character. I chose Mary and Peter .... Nobody else did, of course. So, I think some trepidation about the culture is understandable. I also think their policy of no outside materials is just plain ignorant.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2015

Give yourself a goal of meeting a certain amount of people from work a week. I'm not sure how big your campus is so this may take no time at all. Invite coworkers out for dinner after work one night. Once those have been accomplished, then give yourself another goal, say to talk to x amount of coworkers a day.