Finally!....so now what?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Emerson Squirl, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Aug 2, 2010

I finally got the call I have been waiting for, and now can honestly say "I'm a teacher". I have 2 weeks before school starts but since I'm new to the whole experience, I have no idea where to start. Where do you start with planning? How do you set up a classroom? EEK! My head is spinning...

3. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 2, 2010

Congrats!!! What grade?

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2010

We can help better if you gives us lots of details. Besides, we are all nosy around here! Congratulations!!

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 2, 2010

Congrats! Trying searching the forums. There are many posts just like yours and I am sure you will find MORE than what you could ever imagine.
    Its great here.

6. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Aug 2, 2010

Thanks everyone!! I know, I know- Teachers love details. My apologies. I will be teaching 4th grade. I've never been to the room before though. I just signed papers today, which I had to have before I returned to the school.

7. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

Hi Emerson. I am in the same boat as you. I just got the phone call today that I got the job! With eek! TWO WEEKS to prepare.

I haven't signed my papers yet... so I hope nothing falls through on that end, but seeing as I am going to training tomorrow it should be fine!

I am an ELA teacher exclusively. My first focus is building a classroom library. I already have around 20 books grade-appropriate. I also need to build a classroom management plan for the first week of school. I don't want them to take me alive!

8. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 2, 2010

Try to get into your room as soon as possible. Then walk around the school a find another teacher who is in early to set up. Introduce yourself and ask them about what materials the school supplies. Will you get free borders and decorations, are you going to have a lot of manipulatives? Just peeking in other rooms will give you a good idea of how you want to decorate your room.

See if you can get a copy of the TE's. They may already be in your room. Bring them home and look through them.

I would suggest that with only 2 weeks before school you should focus more on planning for the first week so you feel confident when the kids get there.

9. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 2, 2010

congratulations!

10. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 3, 2010

Congrats!
    I would ask my principal if it would be too much trouble to contact a lead teacher to work with. Ask LOTS of questions, but have tact when asking about management issues. Ask for TE's, curriculum guide's, pacing plans. See if you can take a tour of the school and different classrooms to get a sense of the "norms" of decorating/what's expected.
    Focus on what you want to do the first week of school. Decorating and moving in will come, but the kids need you to be ready. :)

11. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 3, 2010

Yay! 4th grade is awesome. I taught 4th grade last year. I would plan the procedures and behavior management. Everything else will fall into place when you get there. Good luck!