Finally losing weight!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Mrs. K., Oct 11, 2013.

1. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2013

My doctor told me if I lost 15 pounds, I could get my cholesterol down and wouldn't have to take a statin. He recommended the 5/2 diet and said it seemed to work especially well with his patients of (ahem) a certain age. And he was right! DH and I are doing it together, and we've both been losing--I'm down almost 10 pounds since August!

It's pretty easy--you fast two non-consecutive days a week, and by that I mean taking in 500-600 calories. That might mean a hard-boiled egg for breakfast, an Atkins bar or some nuts at the nutrition break, Greek yogurt for lunch, and a light dinner--we usually get the little cold shrimp tray from Costco or have a chef salad. Those two days a week aren't fun, but it's tolerable because we know we can eat normally the following day. Of course, we don't go nuts, but we have the occasional burger and fries, and we're still losing. :D

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 11, 2013

Glad you're having luck. Think you can keep it up long term?

I was shocked to lose 10 pounds in two weeks on my new medicine for menopause symptoms. Nice bonus since usually I get steroids which put on weight. Usually I only lose with a strict 1200 calories, and my willpower isn't that good long term. :blush:

I refuse statins. I keep mine down with a fat binder and diet.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 11, 2013

Great news! I also have tried 5:2 and it really does work. I just have to be consistent with it and get back to the gym. I lost a little over 20 lbs so far! For myself I find it easier to not eat until later in the day (except for coffee in the morning) but I have tried it also with a few meals of 100 calories each. People think it's crazy to fast but your body actually gets to "heal" itself when there are times with little or no food in your stomach.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2013

Great job, MrsK.! I might have to try this.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 11, 2013

My doctor was always a fan of fasting. He did it regularly his whole adult life. He didn't recommend it for me, though, due to some medical issues.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 24, 2013

Way to go! Keep up the great work!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 24, 2013

Glad it's working! It's almost like this diet I found out about yrs ago called the 3 Day Diet, except it's 3 days in a row of eating specific foods. The other 4 days, you eat what you want, but sensibly of course. They say you can lose up to 10 pounds in a week. I actullay lost 7-8 in a week when I did it once.