Finally got a call!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by missythemom, Dec 5, 2011.

1. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Dec 5, 2011

Subfinder just called me to set me up for the 20th as a floater :) since I have never subbed before I am not quite sure what that means but I am assuming that it means I will be available to help anyone who needs me throughout the day. At any rate, I am just happy to be getting called and hope and pray I do a great job, pray for me ;):haha:

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2011

Good luck! :)

Typically, at least in the school districts I've worked or subbed at, if a sub is asked to come in to float, it means that teachers will be out for a period of time for either some sort of meeting (IEP, SST, for example) or inservice/workshop. Way back when I subbed, when I took floating jobs, either I was in one class for the morning and another in the afternoon, or I was moving from classroom to classroom every 40 minutes or so, depending on how long the meeting was.

I noticed that the days where I floated every hour or so were the most craziest. But, the day seemed to fly by at least. :D

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2011

Be flexible, follow the plan left for you, thank the secretaries and anyone else who helps you. Smile, be positive.

5. Joy

Joy Cohort

Dec 5, 2011

Being a teacher floater means that the teacher you are subbing for will be at the school. She is either going to a meeting for a short time or pulling kids out to benchmark. I have been a floater and stayed in the same room for the entire day. I have also spent the morning in one room and the afternoon in another and I have rotated through many different classes during one day. You will be busy but it is a good way to make lots of contacts with many different teachers. Do your best and give yourself a break. It's only your first day of subbing! You'll do great!

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 5, 2011

Good for you missy... floater is just about the easiest first day one could ask for... :thumb: sure you did a good job!

7. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Dec 7, 2011

Thanks for the insight and the positive messages :) I am super excited to get there and get to work! I am going to try to go into with a positive attitude and muster up as much confidence as I can :)

8. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Dec 7, 2011

Good luck! Floating can be tricky sometimes, but you'll get to see lots of classrooms. :)

9. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Dec 7, 2011

I've found that floating can make the day go by fast, since you're moving around. Classroom management is usually easier too, since the teacher is usually on campus and puts the fear of God into the students.

10. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Dec 7, 2011

Thanks guys :) I just got another call from Subfinder to set me up for the 22nd as a floater as well!! WOOHOO :) This one stated that there were special instructions and to log into the Subfinder website to access that information. I went to the school district's website and clicked on the Subfinder link and tried to put in a password and username but it kicked me off and said invalid so and so and to contact a supervisor to access it, what did I do wrong, and how do I give it another shot? Thanks again :)

11. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Dec 7, 2011

I'd try it again. You may have just made a typo. If you still can't get in, call the sub desk and let them know you have a problem. I've found that the "special instructions" are rarely that vital to know ahead of time. It's usually things like where to find the lesson plan, and it's usually in sight anyway. Or once it was that the teacher had morning duty, which the office manager told me again when I checked in the morning of the job.

12. Joy

Joy Cohort

Dec 7, 2011

Did you use your last name for your username? Every district might be different but my subfinder uses my last name and sub# that I use to accept jobs on the phone. I would retry. It might tell you what grade you are covering for.

13. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Dec 12, 2011

I was using my full name as my username and that was what was messing me up ,lol. I did as you suggested ans used just my last name and it worked, so thank you for your help with that :) The special instructions were just to tell me that I was going to be a floater, which I already knew lol. Now can someone tell me the difference between a floater and a CSE floater, if there even is a difference? Thanks :)

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 12, 2011

How exciting for you & good luck! Wow, your district must have a lot of subs who float. In the 10 yrs I used to sub, I can recall being a floater 1x, maybe twice.

15. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Dec 12, 2011

When I was there to sub full day on Friday for the art teacher, there were two other subs that were there signing in as floaters for that day also,lol. So yup I guess your right there :)