Finally Done!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs. R., Aug 25, 2008.

1. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2008

So school starts for me tomorrow (professional development) and the kids on Wednesday. I finally got my room mostly finished. All I have left to do is piddly things like putting labels on writing folders. You can see pix here:

http://mrsrench.com/Home/Welcome.html
    Click on the Classroom Photos link.

The photos with kids in them are from last year.

3. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Aug 25, 2008

Your room looks great! It is so big. You are so lucky to have those comfy couches! I love how you are organized and have the day to day assignments on you site. Are you going to do that all year? Looks good!!

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 25, 2008

Looks neat! Like the "living room"!

5. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2008

I've had my weekly lesson plan on my website for the past two years. This year, the kids will get no "hard copy". I write the assignments on the board everyday and it's on the web, so I don't feel the need to waste the paper. One of my goals is to cut in half the amount of copies I make. We'll see how I do.

The couches were a find. The principal found them at a rummage sale! I bought the slipcovers and then found a $30 coffee table at Ikea. We're going to have our poetry circle and our reading minilessons in the living room. I'm hoping it will go over.

I also think I'm going to have my two LA classes develop our "living room rules" such as who gets the couches when, etc. That way maybe they'll be more likely to follow them!

6. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Aug 25, 2008

You've done a great job. The classroom and the website look awesome.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2008

I love your room!! The kids are lucky to have the "living room" area.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 26, 2008

I totally love the template for your website!! Where did it come from? It's so unusual and very "cool."

P.S. My grandparents live in Northbrook so I am very familiar with the town! It's a nice little suburb! They live right by New Trier East (or west?) which ever one is the old one. The rest of my family lives in Wilmette or Evanston. My immediate family members are the lone west-coasters!

9. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

Awesome! I'm jealous of your living room. We can't have anything like that - fire codes. What a great place to discuss what you're reading!

10. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2008

The template is one that is preloaded into iWeb, which is the website building software from Apple. That's one of the things I like about ILife - there are lots of different templates for various kinds of projects. Last year I used one that looked like a notebook, but this one is more fun. IWeb is super easy to use and makes creating a website fun.

I think it is also fun that I bought my own domain (mrsrench.com). Having a programmer for a husband turns one into a little bit of a geek!:)

11. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2008

Until last school year, I didn't think about having a living room in my classroom. However, all of our elementary teachers have couches and chairs, so I figured I could have them, too. Our new head custodian moved over from one of our elementary buildings, and when he saw my room he told me that now he felt like he was home. I'm very glad there is no problem with fire codes and the like. It seems like so many people on the board have issues with what they can or cannot have on their walls or in their rooms due to local code.
    So far, the only thing I've been told I can't have is an electrical outlet that pulls down from the ceiling so that kids don't trip on the cords to my media cart.

12. SmallTownGirl

SmallTownGirl Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

I'm so jealous that you have couches! I put one in my room and was told that I had to get it out by the next day! :(
    Your room is amazing!