Finally, an Interview!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by 4myclass, Sep 15, 2008.

1. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 19, 2008

I only stated on the voice mail that I was curious if they had made a decision (they want to open the class on Monday) and that I looked forward to hearing from her.

2. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2008

I'm sorry, 4myclass.

3. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 19, 2008

I know, just didn't want you to give up hope just yet. I understand the frustration. I'm still hopeful for you.

4. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 19, 2008

maybe there was a personal emergency or something....however, if you think that principal is the one that ruined it for you, there may be a way to find out...my sister was telling me today that there is a number you can call and get some kind of report if you are unemployed or turned down for a job....i am not sure if schools report to it or what but as soon as she forwards me the info, i will share.....

it is like a credit report but about jobs....it should be made mandatory so that we know what is holding us back. after all, isnt that part of the learning experience....

could you not put down the district person or the assist. princ?

5. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 19, 2008

I've heard of that reference check service as well! I'm so sorry 4myclass. I was really hoping it was your time.

6. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 19, 2008

Guys, I just got a call from another one of my references. She also told me that she gave me a wonderful reference. She was sure the job was mine. When I told her that it was no longer listed and I hadn't heard anything, she told me that the principal asked her something in a kind of weird tone. She said "What she really needed to know about me was my communications with parents".
    She told the principal that she had heard only good things from my former student's parents. She told them that many requested me for siblings and relatives.
    My parents loved me. I was in constant communication with them. I worked with them to help their children succeed.

I did have this one parent (when I was put in 5th grade) that was crazy. She called the school on a daily basis, chased me to my car, and held me on the phone yelling obscenities at me for an hour because her son wasn't doing his work. Because of her, my principal forced me to regrade papers from the first week of school and on until he got a grade that she accepted. I talked to his previous teacher and she told me that she was the same way when she had her son. For goodness sake, I was forced to e-mail this woman daily to let her know if her son had finished all his work and to tell her how his behavior was. We were constantly having conferences with the principal. It is funny though, one time during a conference, the mom was telling the principal how I was making up behavior reports because I didn't like her son. Well in the middle of the conference, the coach buzzes in and tells the principal that he just caught the boy in question peeing on the lockers in the locker room.

I never had problems like that before. Like I said, my parents loved me. I treated them like I would like to be treated as a parent.

If my former principal said negative things about me, what can I do about it?

7. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 19, 2008

first, that irritates me the the p did not support you....there are ways to handle those type parents to shut them down....poor son...he was that way cause mom was in denial...

anyway....what can you do?

great question....i would say, call her up and confront it....in a nice and lets resolve this sort of way.

8. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 19, 2008

This is also a person who would not help me with a student that harassed and threatened me on a daily/hourly basis. This student would get in my face and yell that he hated me and wished I was dead. I tried to get him counseling but the counselor was useless. I wrote him up and the principal would send back the paper work saying that I had not followed all the steps, even though I had.
    I am telling you, she hated me. The stress was so bad, my health was affected. I resigned for medical reasons after suffering in that class for 9 weeks. I continued to work in the school as an aide because they offered me the position "to allow me to recover in a less stressful position while continuing to receive a paycheck". Of course, that was a big mistake.

9. KAM

KAM Rookie

Sep 19, 2008

How do you feel your interview went? Hope it went well.

10. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Sep 20, 2008

Did the P call you back today?

I feel for you. All it takes is a simple phone call letting you know either way. P's need to realize it is torture waiting...Hope you have a good weekedn.

Dont get down on yourself

11. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 20, 2008

No word back. KAM, the interview went wonderful. The principal was so happy to see that I had so much experience. She called all my references and got excellent reports about me. Then she called my former principal and the job slipped away from me. It is no longer posted and since she wanted to open the class on Monday............

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2008

It could be that the principal wanted to hire you, but was told from higher ups to hire someone else.

Last year, I received a call from a principal in a district 30 minutes away that I hadn't applied at, but a principal in my home district forwarded it onto this principal. He was going to hire me w/o an interview, but was overruled by the super.

13. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Sep 21, 2008

SMG, the same thing has happened to me twice this year. The P wanted me but was overrued and had to give the job to someone else in the district who didnt get their numbers. So frustrating. Ohh well.

14. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 23, 2008

Where you able to find out a number for this? I desperate now. My career is essentially over if I can't get past my old principal. I worked to hard and long, and I have spent way too much money for my dreams to end because of this one person.

If you can get me the number, I would be eternally grateful.

15. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 23, 2008

I am waiting for her to call me back...she was feeding the baby...I will ask and get back with you hopefully today! She had an issue with an old boss and called them personally...She just said that she understood that there were issues when she worked there and she took their advice seriously and has worked to improve her abilities, yada yada yada (btw, same situation, ridiculous boss that ended up forcing her to quit, but she just figured, eat crow and move on)
    and she was able to work it out with them that she checks she was never forced to leave a job on the application and they will give her a decent recommendation...worked out for her....

anyway, i will let you know!

16. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 23, 2008

another thought....if the number does not pan out anythning...could you apply somewhere you really would not work, then out right ask the person what kind of reference she gave you?

17. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 23, 2008

I had actually had the discussion about how I would fill out why I left the position. I left the 5th grade position due to medical reasons and took a position as an assistant so give my vision time to recover since there is less stress as an aide. I was promised that I would be able to stay in that position or move into another teaching position should one become available this coming school year. Surprise, surprise, they lied to me. I was told in March that since I was the last person hired, due to numbers, they were letting me go. I asked them during the meeting how I should mark the reason for leaving and they said that this was clearly a reduction in staff. I was also told that they would write me letters of recommendation. They did, the superintendent's letter is nice, but the principal's is just okay. Nothing really helpful.

18. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 23, 2008

could you not just put the super down in the blank for that job.....one call to him and it would at least be a red flag that something is not right!

anyway, no call yet.....that sucks....hopefully you can get it straight!

19. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 23, 2008

Actually, I put neither down as references. I honestly don't trust either of them. They both lie and manipulate to get what they want. It is bad because this is a very small district, less than 300 students total. Yet, it is amazing how much power these people hold over me. I am at their mercy. Unfortunately, they have none.

20. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 23, 2008

USAgrad: I am praying for you and the job you interviewed for.

21. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 23, 2008

that is too bad....

the number is 202 326 3761 i just tried to call it and it did not work....she got it off the back of an application.....maybe its old....she is double checking the back of the app and calling me back...

22. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 23, 2008

thanks! no news yet!

23. smalltowngal

Sep 23, 2008

4myclass-I hope that you can get this all straightened out. It really stinks that one person who is holding a grudge, is keeping you from a job. I'm lucky in that the principal who didn't like me (for some reason) isn't at the school anymore, not even in education (she's a realtor) and that the district is HUGE.

Something will come your way!

24. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 24, 2008

Okay, here we go again. The same district just posted another opening for a Pre-K teacher. I e-mailed the administration office and they forwarded my e-mail to the principal at the school. This school is about a mile closer to me than the other one, so that would be good. I just don't want to get my hopes up.

If I get an interview, how do I bypass my old principal? I don't want the same thing to happen again.

Any advice would help.

25. smalltowngal

Sep 24, 2008

Could you ask them not to contact her, but instead give them an alternate reference?

26. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 24, 2008

How do I do that without making them suspicious? I am worried that they will think that I have something to hide.

I don't actually give my old principal as a reference. I only put fellow employees that know how I teach and that I trust. My old principal only came into my classroom maybe twice a year to observe for about 10 minutes.

27. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 24, 2008

Did you try that number? i never tried it again....Have you considered a call to the super? have you had any school confirm your thoughts?

maybe things will work out....I am telling you, God has a plan....REGARDLESS of this one person, once I truly trusted this and let it go, it all worked out for me!

Good luck, I hope things work out for you!

28. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Sep 24, 2008

I hope this position works out for you. I agree with USCGRAD, God has a plan for you and will put you where you need to be.

29. smalltowngal

Sep 24, 2008

You could always say that your philosophy didn't fit with the principal's and that you would prefer them not call her but call __________ instead as they can better tell them about your teaching.

30. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 24, 2008

I like that. I just got another interview for tomorrow at the school I was talking about. It is also for a Pre-K position. :woot:OMG, this has to work. Lotsa prayers please.

31. smalltowngal

Sep 24, 2008

Positive prayers being sent your way!!!!

32. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 24, 2008

Prayers going up for you...

and I have absolutely everything crossed for you.....

knock their socks off....

i also wanted to tell you that I just talked with my sister, she actually called the director of human resources for the company and explained that she felt that she was missing opportunities because of the manager and that she needed a job and would like to know what could be done to improve the reference given and that person told her to put his name down and he would give a good reference (I guess based on the fact that she called and confronted it???)

just a thought, i know education is different but, well, its something to consider!

again, good luck

33. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Sep 24, 2008

GOOD LUCK!!!! That is so exciting!

34. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 25, 2008

Thank you USCgrad, that's a good idea. If only the district that I left was bigger. They only have a Superintendent and a Principal. The whole reason I was moved to 5th was because the Super's daughter was best friends with the girl that took my old Pre-K classroom. In other words, they were in it together. The principal is the super's hit man.
    Don't you just love small schools?

35. smalltowngal

Sep 25, 2008

Good luck with your interview today!!!

36. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Sep 25, 2008

how did it go?

37. smalltowngal

Sep 25, 2008

So, how did your interview go?

38. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 26, 2008

:woot:I GOT THE JOB! I GOT THE JOB! I GOT THE JOB!

She hired me on the spot. I start setting up this morning and I have students on Wednesday.

I will tell you more about it later. Gotta run.

Thanks to everyone for their prayers and support. Love ya!

39. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 26, 2008

I AM SO SO SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU......Way to go.....

40. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Sep 26, 2008

Yeah! Congratulations.