Finally! A way to raise graduation rates and test scores for children living in poverty.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tyler B., Sep 27, 2018.

1. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Oct 3, 2018

I taught in several low income schools for 15 years and never saw anything like this. I'm thinking this is rare. The struggling families I worked with wanted a good life for their children.

futuremathsprof and ms.irene like this.
  2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 3, 2018

Viewing pregnancies as status symbols sounds improbable as a cultural norm, unless the culture in question is limited to boys below the age of, say, 25. Subtract the pregnancies, and the view in that age group that sexual conquests are something to boast of seems to span times, locations, races, and socioeconomic statuses.

ms.irene likes this.
  3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 3, 2018

That's refreshing to hear. I am hoping it is rare and isolated to my region. I can't think of any families that did not want a good life for their children. But many families defined a good life as something radically different than I would.

Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2018

Out of curiosity, what region are you in?

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 5, 2018

I live in the south, but in a city. We see generational poverty, gang activity, immigrants from many different countries/cultures and everything else you'd expect to see in a city.

Backroads likes this.
  6. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2018

That's interesting. I taught in the inner city with all of the above, but I never heard of any of the "just have babies" mentality. The families of my students were, for the most part, very interested in having their kids get the best education possible, which was the reason most of them had brought their kids here from their home countries. This is in Northern California so I imagine the culture is very different from the South, but I still find it hard to imagine immigrant parents having this mentality, who in my experience are extremely hard-working and strive to pass this on to their kids.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 5, 2018

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018