Finally a position posted!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Beth2004, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 2, 2007

This is my 3rd spring/summer applying for jobs and this is honestly the worst job market I have experienced. I've only sent out about 25 resumes and only 2 of them have been to actual posted positions. The others have just been general letters of interest to the district or principals. Teachers are getting laid off, schools are closing, it's insane. In my town alone (a relatively small town) 80 teachers were just let go and they're closing 2 of the 5 elementary schools.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited because there is finally a position posted for a school in my area. It's a 3rd-4th grade looping position one town over from me. I actually interviewed with them last year and was granted a second interview, but didn't get the job. I was REALLY happy to see the same position posted again (same school) because I feel like I've got a pretty good shot of at least getting an interview. I don't want to get my hopes up because I'm pretty much a veteran at this whole job search thing :p but I can't help being excited. Also, the really great part about it is that I just sent a letter and resume to the principal of the school last week (before the position was posted) letting him know how interested I am in a position at his school. Hopefully that will help!

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2007

Good luck

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2007

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

5. 1stYearTeacher

1stYearTeacher Companion

Jun 2, 2007

I hear you, the job market outlook here in MA isn't very good. I just graduated from college this semester and am so nervous about finding a job for this fall. What area of MA are you from? I'm looking for jobs in/near Worcester county. I've noticed most of the jobs are for either the Boston or Springfield area.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 2, 2007

I'm in Bristol County, not far from the Cape.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2007

Beth.....GOOD LUCK! This year you will have had a great classroom experience which will definitely be a bonus! Keep us posted! :) :)

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 2, 2007

Thanks! :)
    I'm really hoping my experience helps this year!

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2007

Good luck- if you don't get called for an interview soon, you might want to call them!

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 2, 2007

I think I might. I'm also sending another letter directly to the principal. (check out my other thread http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=37108)

11. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jun 2, 2007

Call them... It worked for me. I think that it shows that you have confidence and are a "go getter."
    Someone once told me that are 3 types of people: Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those that wonder "what the heck just happened?"
    Make it happen.

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2007

Good luck Beth!!!! :)

13. sunfishy

sunfishy Rookie

Jun 8, 2007

I'm stuck in the MA job market as well in the Worcester county area. I have had no luck so far and have applied everywhere. I know someone else in this area who has been unable to obtain a teaching job for two years now. I wish I could leave the state but I am unable to as my husband is a teacher here and is not ready to relocate at this point in time. One principal at a job fair actually laughed at me and said they no way they would hire me because I have not already held a professional teaching position. I guess there are so many laid off teachers right now that they don't really need any new ones. What to do? Even teaching aid jobs appear to be hard to come by in this area. I hope that I can at least get an aid job by next year as I need money to pay all of my bills.

Best Wishes Beth

14. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 9, 2007

Yeah... I am glad that there's a posting.... I am sure it has your name written all over it. Sending "good luck" dust your way...