Finally, a Classroom!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, Aug 30, 2013.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2013

Here is my new classroom. The first pictures were taken as soon as I came into the room; the last, just before I left today--10 hours later. It doesn't look like much progress, but what I didn't take pictures of were the 20+ boxes that were brought up the stairs from my car, unpacked and put away. I'll be back in for about 6 hours on Monday. We aren't allowed to put anything on the walls because of the fresh paint, so only have the bulletin boards, cupboard doors, whiteboard and classroom door (can use magnets) to put things up on. I still need to finish my classroom library, get some math manipulatives, etc. onto the shelves, set up my small group area (the table beside my desk), and finish the area with supplies for the kids.

It will be a work in progress for a bit, but I love the room!

Grrr....the pictures seem to be in reverse order, and I'm too tired to change them.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 30, 2013

Definitely a shiny new building!

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 30, 2013

Nice!
    I wish I had those types of desks!

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 30, 2013

Shiny! I'm hoping there is a long delay before gum sprouts from the bottom of those desks.

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 30, 2013

Great job so far :) I love seeing classroom pics and getting ideas for my own!

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 31, 2013

Looks great - glad to hear the good news! :)

(Definitely a lot more finished than my building...!!)

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2013

I do love the desks, but need to figure out storage for materials, because I don't want the kids in and out to their lockers. I'll only let them go first thing in the morning, before and after recess, before and after lunch, and at the end of the day.

I didn't mention the location of my room--almost the end of the hallway, lockers just outside the door, drinking fountain (and water bottle refilling station), student washrooms and staff washrooms right across the hall!

Your will get there, yellowdaisies! I was actually amazed at the work done during the day yesterday--stairwells tiled, staff room floor put down and waxed, hundreds and hundreds of boxes delivered. Can't wait to see it on Monday!

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 31, 2013

I love it! Beautiful shiny new everything!

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2013

Great to see your new classroom! I got some of those IKEA frames to use for instructions when I do stations. Just curious what your plans are for them.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2013

For the first day, they'll have the names of the students sitting in each group, and whenever I change seating plans, I'll use them as well. I also plan to use them for task instructions, math problems, etc. I love them!

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2013

I agree with everyone that your new room looks great - big windows and lots of room/space!

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2013

I was back in for about 5 hours again today. The entire building was buzzing with activity--teachers, caretakers, construction workers and a few parents (I couldn't believe they would come into the building on a holiday Monday--even though it was obvious there were many people in the building).

I added a few more pictures to the album and will take a few more tomorrow morning before the kids come in. I'm pleased with the way it looks, given the fact that we cannot put anything onto the walls right now. I'm trying to figure out how to liven up the back corner, because it's very bare; to me, it's screaming for student artwork to go up in the next couple of days, but that can't happen. Oh well, I sense that, once the kids arrive, the room won't look quite so bare.

I'm desperately excited, and nervous, about tomorrow!

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2013

Love the room!!

15. thatgirlyouknow

thatgirlyouknow Rookie

Sep 2, 2013

Your room is so BIG! And I love how the desktops (that match!) are all level and not slanted like mine. Plus your room is so shiny and nice. Ahhh the things I could do to a room like that. :) Lucky lady!

16. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 3, 2013

Looking very nice, Mrs. C! I'm jealous! :cool:

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 3, 2013

What's up with not being able to decorate walls?

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2013

I has to do with inspections, warranty and the new paint. Teachers who have been through this "new building" thing have told us that the restriction will be relaxed a bit after the first few months. We'll just need to be somewhat creative about how to display things.