Final Update on my cat who was taken to the pound- he's dead

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Jan 6, 2011.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2011

I got my first cat from a no kill shelter and she kept cats with FIV or Kitty leukemia. She just kept them separate from the other cats. She would adopt them out, you just couldn't have other cats. So I think it is a little ridiculous that they would put it down without calling you first.

2. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2011

EXACTLY! I am so frustrated and upset right now and I just can't stop crying. I just keep thinking about my poor little cat and the very last memory of him meowing when we left the room he was in. It just breaks my heart..... I hate that I have to go to work soon as a mess.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 7, 2011

Ticked wouldn't even describe how I would feel. Wow! That just takes my breath away! Not notifying you was cruel.

4. KDS

KDS Companion

Jan 7, 2011

As Carrie Fisher said in her book,
    "Cry all you want! You will pee less!"

(am hoping that gives you a tiny moment of a smile!)

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 7, 2011

I'm so sorry. It's hard enough when you lose a pet to old age or sickness, but when it's senseless and out of the blue, it's even harder to deal with.

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jan 7, 2011

I am so sorry, that is just so horrible!!

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2011

I think what they did to you - putting the cat down after you had already came to the shelter, seen it, and left with the intention of returning - was downright cruel and thoughtless, not just to the cat but also to you.

Even if it's the shelter's policy or the standard procedure to do what they did under the circumstances, there's no reason why they needed to euthanize an animal that obviously had a home. My guess is that the person responsible is one of those administrative drone-robot types that can't think for themselves and just does their job by following a manual. People like that do not belong in jobs where they are responsible for living things.

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2011

When I read it I had to pick up my jaw off the floor!
    I found this on the net:
    Cats that have been vaccinated will test positive for the FIV antibody for the rest of their life due to seroconversion, even though they are not infected. Therefore, testing of strays or adopted cats is inconclusive, since it is impossible to know whether or not they have been vaccinated in the past. For these reasons, a positive FIV antibody test by itself should never be used as criteria for euthanasia.

Here in AZ we had this:
    Hero War-Dog Euthanized by Mistake
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/11/16/hero-war-dog-euthanized-mistake/

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 8, 2011

My guess is there was lack of communication and they are covering their butts by using this policy as a reason.

What you wrote Dave... wow. That would further grounds for suing them. Of course I'm generally not sue happy because it is complicated and cost money.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2011

I think so too, Cut. I think they lost track of the fact that this cat was NOT a stray and it was a huge error. But rather than admit, they're taking a cue from Ollie North and covering their.. tushes... and using the policy as a means to do so.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2011

Dave, I've read that story before and it had me crying.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 8, 2011

My, my, my, what a sad outcome. I'm sorry this whole mess happened.

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2011

Dave, my hubby found that information right before the pound called us back. He told them about that info and APPARENTLY, they don't test for the antibodies, but for the actual, er, disease itself. Of course, we find that complete BS. I plan to call my vet and see if they can tell me anything about FIV and what they do to test for it, just out of curiosity.

As I learned from watching Judge Judy, pets in CA are properties. If we sue, we would only get the value of what this cat would usually sell for. I don't think this particular cat is of a special breed or anything. SO, we would get, oh, $5? I feel lost, angry, on edge. I just don't know what to do.

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 8, 2011

Peach, again, I am so sorry for what you are going through. To be honest, though, I don't think I'd sue. (All I can think of is that the money they spent would be taken away from caring for the animals there at the shelter.) What I would do is to contact the government agency responsible for the shelter (most nearby shelters are run by the town, I'm not sure if it's the same there). Something needs to be done with those in charge at the shelter. I would also contact the media. You can't change the tragedy of what happened with your cat, but you can bring the situation to light and hopefully prevent it from happening to others.

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 8, 2011

I've had nightmares for two days over this. Peachy, if I'm this upset, I can't even imagine how you feel. Do your news stations have something like a consumer help/problem solving segment? If they do, I'd contact them and let them splash your story all over the 6:00 news. It won't bring your cat back, but maybe it can embarrass them into making sure it never happens to anybody else.