Final Seasons of TV Shows Parenthood & The Mentalist

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 4, 2014

Anyone watch either of these? If so, you know they are in their final seasons. I know no show can last forever, but I want them to keep going! I think they're good shows.

On Parenthood, do you really think Julia will get back together w/ Joel? I'm leaning towards yes.

On The Mentalist, I actually like Jane & Lisbon getting together. Might as well since the show's ending! I wonder if the final episode will have their wedding?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 4, 2014

I think Parenthood is one of the finest shows on tv. I love all the characters and the setting. Yes, I kind of think they will get back together. What do you think will go on with Amber? One of the coming attractions looked like she might be having a miscarriage.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 4, 2014

Miscarriage huh! Well, I always like happy endings or at least issues that have closure, so I'd like to see her marry the father of her child. I don't like issues left up in the air.

What I find so funny is that my BF, who is 1 of 4 siblings just like the adult siblings on the show hates the show. He says there's always too much chaos happening & it feels taxing to him. His brother can't stand it either.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 4, 2014

It's very talky and really geared toward women's tastes.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2014

Never watched either...it's about demographics and paying the bills for most networks..

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 4, 2014

I watched a few seasons of Parenthood but somewhere along the line I lost interest. Wasn't Amber in high school or is she older in the current episodes? I never thought too highly of her character so I'm not surprised how things are ending in this last season.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 4, 2014

I initially wanted to watch the show because I knew Lauren Graham from Gilmore Girls was going to be on the show & I'm glad I've been watching since day 1.

TeacherNY, Amber is a HS dropout who met this military guy who was a friend of the patriarch of the family (Zeke). He never had his life together & she broke up w/ him shortly before she found out she was pregnant. She's been working for her 2 uncles at the Luncheonette as the receptionist. Since she got pregnant, the show jumped ahead 4 mos.

I do not like Julia & Joel's daughter's personality at all. She's a brat & always in a sourpuss mood.

I'm still trying to see if Ray Romano coming on the show is a good thing or bad thing. He's OK to me on the show...a kind soul who recently learned he has Asperger's too, like Max. Not everyone has an exuberant, bubbly personality. He has a bratty teen daughter.

9. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Dec 4, 2014

I love Parenthood and I'm so sad it's ending.

Amber is probably about 20, 21 now show-wise. I think she and Hattie (her cousin) were the same age and Hattie's in her second (or third?) year of college now. I was going to say I didn't think Amber was a high school dropout, but maybe she is. She applied to a couple of colleges at one point and didn't get into either of them so at the very least, she didn't go on to college.

I think we'll get happy endings all the way around except maybe for Zeke. I go back and forth and whether they'll actually kill him off or not. I was kind of thinking that the primary reason for the time skip this season was so that Amber could have the baby in the series finale. That seems like a very Parenthood way to wrap things up.

I love Ray Romano as Hank. I always enjoyed Everybody Loves Raymond, but I think he's been a revelation here. So good. I do not care one bit about his ex and bratty daughter though and wish they weren't sucking up so much time, especially since this is the last season.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 5, 2014

heatherberm, I too was thinking that since the show's ending, whether they'd kill off Zeke. It seemed to show him surviving his latest heart attack, but who knows.

Yeah, I also assumed they'll show Amber having her baby at the very end.

I never watched Ray Romano in anything else before this. I also wish they would show much less of his ex-wife & daughter in this last season.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 5, 2014

Yeah, I think Ray Romano's ex and daughter are just a distraction. I thought Amber graduated from HS. She has matured a lot since then. Her brother is in college now. Nobody has mentioned Bonnie Bedelia; I love her.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 5, 2014

I guess I missed a lot. I didn't know there was a luncheonette LOL Not sure which 2 uncles that would be. I guess I can try to catch up. I just totally forgot about this show after a while. I don't have cable so I use HULU and my husband didn't like the show so we would watch stuff we both liked and some things I watch on my own.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2014

We love parenthood... Sad to see it go like Brothers & sisters.

Oh super bummed that Franklin & Bash got cancelled.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 5, 2014

Yes, Crosby (youngest brother) & Adam (oldest brother) run the Luncheonette, the name of their recording studio. Business for them hasn't been too great overall.

I watched F&B when it started & tried to like it, but soon stopped watching. Never got into B&S.

15. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Dec 5, 2014

I love Parenthood. I was sad that it was ending, but I kind of feel like it's been played out. We've seen weddings, new babies, and now the second major health crisis storyline. I'm not sure where else they could go. That said, next fall when it's not on the TV schedule, I'll be missing it.

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 5, 2014

I really like parenthood. I think this is actually the best season they've had yet, so I'm sad it's being cancelled! I think Ray Ramono's character was a great addition to the show. Education wise, I find Max's parents a little annoying, but I've really liked the story lines that have focused on their new school this year. I feel like an entire show about a school like that would be great entertainment!

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 6, 2014

I love Parenthood. I truly hope they get Julia and Joel back together. I hated where that trajectory went last season.

That said, I am not a huge fan of this season. They signed a deal where the lead actors are only in 9 of the 13 episodes. It's felt very disconnected with main characters missing from each episode. Also, it's missing the whole family scenes that have always been some of their best. I wish they had just done 9 episodes with everyone in each.

The Mentalist - I haven't watched for a couple seasons (there's no way to watch the older ones without Netflix DVD so I never got caught up once we canceled it), but I was thrilled to learn they got Lisbon and Jane together. I was hoping for that since the first season!

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 6, 2014

Regarding the Mentalist, earlier I said how I'm glad they had Lisbon & Jane get together. However, that bit about Lisbon almost moving & marrying that other guy in just the previous episode was weird of the writers to do.

Back to Parenthood, they could do a spin-off show focusing on any one or two of the families. TV never makes spin-offs anymore!

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 6, 2014

There are lots of characters who I would follow in a spin-off. Oh, I didn't know about F&B. I will miss those guys; they were just so cute. On the other hand, I see that White Collar has started back and I want to catch up.

Has anyone been watching Newsroom on HBO or The Affair on Showtime?

20. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Dec 6, 2014

Yeah, I kind of agree with you. I assume that's why we've been getting so much of Hank's ex-wife and daughter. They need to fill some time with non-Bravermans. As much as I love Romano as Hank, I'm not much interested in him removed from Sarah and/or Max. I think I would have preferred a shorter season too. I haven't been counting up how many episodes each person has appeared in but I'm hoping they arranged it so that everyone is in at least the last couple so we can get a few whole family scenes.

21. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 6, 2014

Love Newsroom, upsadaisy, but I have to wait until it comes out on Netflix, as we don't have cable.

22. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 6, 2014

I agree with everything you said here! Ruby drives me nuts...lol.

23. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Dec 6, 2014

There are so many shows that have ended or are ending this year. Not just Parenthood, but I'm still smarting over Revolution being cancelled, True Blood is gone, Newsroom is ending, Sons of Anarchy is over on Tuesday, Strike Back will end this summer and it seems like I read that this will be the last season of Shameless also. Meanwhile, I did not find one new show that started in the fall that I liked. Come on, TV producers! Start giving us some good stuff!

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 6, 2014

Regarding new fall shows, I like Black-ish, How to Get Away with Murder, Stalker & surprisingly the sitcoms Selfie & then A to Z (which I don't like as much).

Gave up on Gotham & Scorpion. I think Manhattan Love Story's already cancelled & didn't even start watching Forever yet...it's DVR'd. The Taste started back.

I'm still waiting on:

The Whispers
    Secrets & Lies
    American Crime
    Fresh off the Boat

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 6, 2014

I hope Netflix gets Newsroom soon for you, Missy.

I love Secretary of State with Tea Leoni. And my old favorites Survivor and Amazing Race are still on.

So, nobody else has seen The Affair on Showtime? It's pretty amazing.