Final round???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by njeledteacher, Jun 18, 2007.

1. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 18, 2007

I got a call on Friday and just checked the voice message. I was taking a break from all of this job stuff. The principal of the place where I did the lemon lesson called and said he wanted to schedule a final round interview. What??? After that whole scenario with the lemon and the way they acted? I am shocked. Do you think they just need to do this as a formality before they hire their final choice? I cannot see them hiring me or even think I want to work there. Should I still do it?

3. mincc

mincc Companion

Jun 18, 2007

Based on my experiences here in lovely Jersey, it is almost impossible to know, unless you get confirmation through the grapevine (as I have ) that the interviews are being done as a formality. Go to the interview and see if you get a different impression of the staff/school. Maybe they were having a bad day?
    I would just see once more and then go from there.

GOOD LUCK!

P.S. Never feel bad if you turn down a job that gives you bad vibes. I know the job market here is TOUGH to the point of being impossible...but no job is better than a really bad one!

4. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 18, 2007

I definitely think you should go to it. I know it's not your first choice, but if you do get the job and accept it, maybe you will actually like it. I remember your post about your "lemon lesson" and how the interviewers acted. While I don't think it was the best way to act, maybe they were doing it for a reason. You can always just treat this interview as practice, and then you will also be prepared should you get more final round interviews. Best of luck!

5. juc162

juc162 Companion

Jun 18, 2007

Definitely go for it! You never know! Good luck :)

6. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 18, 2007

Go for it!

I would definitely go to this final round interview. You felt the first one was a lemon, well, here is your opportunity for the lemonade. See what your vibes are. Go in there with an attitude that you can show them what you are really made of. Go in there with a positive and experienced attitude. Even at this point if you are sure you don't want to teach there, still treat this as if you do want this job. Think of it as great practice of everything you want an interview to be. I know that some people would say that if you don't want the job don't waste everyone's time. You would not be wasting YOUR time. This is valuable practice if nothing else...and I think you have something to prove to yourself first and then to them. Obviously you didn't screw up the lesson as you thought. Maybe you handled everything better than you thought. Maybe they found out you are what they are looking for. As I write, I wonder if thinking of this as a practice and what you want to prove to them, will help you relax and really shine!! Go for it!! This just might be the perfect job for you!

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2007

that's awesome..... go for it... If you still get that same vibe, then you may have to seriously think about a decision if you are offered the job, but ....... they wouldn't have called you back if you weren't being considered... good luck

8. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 18, 2007

Well, the Princ. called this morning at 9 and asked me if I could do the 3rd interview with the Super at 11:30. I said I had an appointment, which I did, and he said he would get back to me later because the Super wasn't in. I thought it was strange to ask me to come in 2 hours notice. Well, he never called back today. I have a feeling this is one of those situations where they new who they wanted to hire, but had to have a certain amt of people interview. Oh well.

9. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 18, 2007

I could be wrong but I doubt they would go this far with the interview if they already knew who they were hiring. I don't think they have to "cover their tracks" that far at all. Of course, I could be wrong. Did you try him again to double check as he may be extremely busy or just couldn't get a hold of the superintendent. It is making me think that you are getting a very good chance in all of this for sure. Hang in there!!

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2007

It's been my experience that the meeting with the supt. is a formality. Decisions are usually made by the principal and the supt. meeting is a "nice to meet you" and "welcome to the team" sort of thing.

11. juc162

juc162 Companion

Jun 18, 2007

The school district I am currently interviewing with told me that the superintendent decides between two candidates. It could be different at your school.

12. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 18, 2007

How was your interview...did you have it today?

13. mincc

mincc Companion

Jun 18, 2007

Obviously, I cannot say what is going on here, but I have a strong feeling that this is a paper trail interview. Jersey is a very hard state to live in, and good jobs in general are tough to come by. The politics in the education system are amazing. Some of the things I have seen and experienced (as have friends) would surprise, annoy and/or anger you all. I had a VERY intense, long, involved interview for a job that was already filled. I know this for a fact. I had another one that was much less intense, but was also fake. It does happen here. The reason: there are way too many of us looking and not nearly enough jobs. So, the jobs almost always go to those who are connected. Not all the time, but most of the time. You do not see it until you start experiencing it....There are people working in schools who are waiting anxiously for jobs to open so their kids/relatives can have them. People get jobs here without having to have interviews (I can tell you of quite a few people I know/met who were able to do this, all had relatives in the schools). Some of these jobs were advertised, some were not.

That being said, I ALWAYS go on an interview. I never presume anything since I cannot be sure. You never know with this field. And every interview is an experience that no one can take from you.

The principal in this situation could call tomorrow!!!!!!!

As for me, I will be finished looking this September. 3 years is enough. I think what really got to me were the last 2 interviews I had, they were not nice, I saw a very mean side to the field. :(

You should have seen me this weekend. My friend got a teaching job last Fall and another one for just the summer. I went with her to get some supplies and helped her with lesson plan ideas. That was tough. Of course, I am happy for her, but I had to swallow a bit of pride...:eek: She kept saying how unfair it is that I do not have my classroom. That helped...a tad. :)

14. juc162

juc162 Companion

Jun 18, 2007

I did not have my interview yet. I am meeting with 3 principals on Wednesday, one from each elementary school in the district. The superintendent interview is the 4th and last step. They told me this during my first interview when they were explaining their district's interview process.

15. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 18, 2007

mincc- you're very right. The education system is all about politics, and it's sad because growing up all you hear is how teachers are needed so badly, but when it comes time to find a job it's the exact opposite because there are many teachers trying to find jobs. Don't give up tho. I know it's hard to say that but just think about how much money and time you have devoted to becoming a teacher. Dont lose the passion. You never know what will happen. Keep your chin up!

16. mincc

mincc Companion

Jun 19, 2007

Thanks Carebear! :angel: I am usually not a quitter. Believe me, I have been through some really challenging things in my life. But, this is one thing I cannot control. It is beyond frustrating. I never thought it would be like this. I honestly do not even think that most of my resumes are even getting read/opened. :(

I,too, heard about those teaching shortages. People told me in my corporate jobs that I would be a great teacher and everyone mentioned the shortages. I have yet to see that. When you go to a job fair with almost 1000 people, that tells you something. And now all these teachers being let go due to budgets.

I am hoping something happens by the end of summer, but I am also applying to other jobs because I am not confident at all that something will happen.

Thanks for your good thoughts!!!!!

Did you hear anything again, Njeled?????

17. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 19, 2007

Well the Principal never called back about "round 3" which to me is very strange. It's just as well as I didn't want to work there anyway.

18. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 19, 2007

Call the principal back yourself... prompt him/her by saying that you were afraid that you had missed his/her call and wanted to touch-base. You know, the position might be filled BUT it could open the doorway to another position. Never give up and never give in.

19. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 19, 2007

Thanks, but if this was a school that I really wanted to work for, I'd be all over calling him back until I could speak with him. But I didn't get good vibes so I'm not going to beg for another chance. It's sad really that people especially in admin positions do this to interviewers. It's almost like a game...you never really know what they're up to. I'm starting to feel like the whole system is corrupt.

20. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 19, 2007

Well, I decided to take your advice. I called him and he said that they did choose someone for the 3rd grade position and that they liked what i had to say and it was a tough call. Didn't give me anything specific. Then he said he wanted to see if I was interested in a 4th grade ML position until December, which I told him no thanks, I'm looking for a position for the whole year. At least that one is over now.

21. annafish

annafish Companion

Jun 19, 2007

My position this year for originally for half of the year, but the teacher ended up taking the whole year. It happens often. You could always take it and tell him if something full time comes up you would take it. Most principals are understanding about that. I know how you feel though, I have been in many positions that they have already decided who is getting the job. At this point though, I am getting nervous about next year so would take anything at first!

Good luck!

22. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 19, 2007

I don't know, there is still time left. I would rather leave my options open than back myself into another ML. I've done that already and it usually doesn't lead anywhere. I would rather do something else than have to do another maternity leave and then have no job in January.