Final Exams

Discussion in 'High School' started by MrK, May 15, 2015.

1. MrK

MrK Rookie

May 15, 2015

Context: At my school, the seniors take final exams two weeks before everyone else does and I'm expected to keep teaching material to the other students the first week and then they take a final the second week.

So a question for everyone here is, do you Seniors get special privilege in taking exams early? Is this even right to do or is it seen as unfair to some students?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 15, 2015

Our seniors are done one week early. I love it. The seniors love it. The underclassmen have something to look forward to.

That being said, I don't do exams. I have a senior footprint project. We watch those for their last two days and I read them "Oh, the Places You'll Go".

4. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

May 15, 2015

I took exams early as a senior and when I taught in high school, they did as well. I don't think it's unfair. As a teacher it gave me time to grade senior exams and for seniors to get themselves in order before they graduated. I'm sure guidance counselor a got more time to get diplomas together too.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 15, 2015

I think the biggest necessity has been posted...teachers need some time to get grades together before graduation.

This is a really nice perk for kids who have been going to school for 12 years and I don't have any problem with the early finish.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 15, 2015

Please tell me more about your senior footprint project. PM me if that would be better for this thread content.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 15, 2015

This year (this week):
    Our seniors attended Monday.
    Finals were Tuesday.
    Wednesday as graduation practice.
    They do not come back to school. They will graduate Sunday.
    Grades 11-12 are done Thursday of next week.

8. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 15, 2015

I love them getting out early. Seniors are so squirrelly by the end. I'm happy to just let them go and then I can concentrate on the younger kids. Here, graduation happens before the younger grades are even done with exams, so we'd be screwed if seniors had to stay all year.

9. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

May 15, 2015

There is a district near me where graduation is held the weekend before the end of school so I would assume seniors would be done at that time and the only exams and students attending the next week would be for 9-11 graders.

Where I am exams are the last week of school, if you don't have any you don't need to come...my dd is a Junior and she does not have to take any exams so she will not need to go the last official week of school.

10. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 15, 2015

I'm betting I'm in that district. :p

I kind of wish we had some protocol about students being able to be exempt from exams, but my school is hardcore on them. No grade, no SOL pass rate, nothing gets you out of exams. So we have a full house up until the last day (and beyond due to make ups).

11. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

May 15, 2015

Aah if our students pass their SOL then they don't have to take their exams so I try to emphasize that = study for your SOL and pass then you don't have to worry about the final exam.

Also our seniors get an exemption based on their grade and number of days absent...I think it has to be a B or better and 5 days or less then they can get a waiver and not have to take their final exam (for non SOL classes).

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 15, 2015

Our seniors are done a week early. They have grad practice the following week and graduate Thursday night.

13. leeshis0019

leeshis0019 Companion

May 19, 2015

My seniors just took theirs yesterday and today. A few of them gave me hugs. The guys. And I'm a guy. I almost teared up just thinking "What's going on? Really...uhhh...ok". I will honestly miss my seniors because I know I won't get the chance to teach them often and they were amazing this semester. All of them were diligent, studious and fun to teach.

I'll get to see them at graduation though with their parents so that should be fun. At that point I'll be done, tired and ready to drive to the beach in SoCal. *sigh*...just 4 more days (post-planning with nothing to plan, arghhh).

My other students are doing half-days Wednesday and Thursday. It should be interesting. They're all freaking out about my final because they heard it was hard. I think the seniors are just messing with them because the average was actually much higher than expected.

Gotta love 'em. Exert that last bit of humorous control before they become freshman again. :woot:

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 20, 2015

I'm so surprised to hear about students taking their exams early and then having to sit in class with nothing to do. What a mess and colossal waste of time, especially for mixed-grade classes.