Final Exam Review with Reluctant Seniors

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ncteach0809, Jan 9, 2009.

1. ncteach0809

ncteach0809 Rookie

Jan 9, 2009

I am teaching Brit Lit to a group of reluctant seniors (some of whom walk away with a shortened study diploma next week), and I am looking for some creative ways to conduct a final exam review. Any thoughts? Plan to break them into groups and have them create mini lessons with handouts and visual aids for the material we covered earlier in the course, but I would love some other ideas to put in the toolbox. Thanks

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 9, 2009

What about something like Trivial Pursuit? Maybe you could have each of them write questions for it, have the group vet the questions, and then play the game.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2009

I have a Jeopardy PowerPoint that I use - my kids enjoy that. I've used it for Beowulf and the Canterbury Tales; if you'd like, you can PM me and I'll send them to you.

My seniors will expend a lot more energy on a review if there's a reward attached to it. Before any test with vocabulary, we play Last Student Standing - I put up a list of our words and ask the first student to define one I pick. If they get it right, they stay standing and pick the word for the next student. After I call time (usually 15-20 minutes for my classes of 38-41) the kids who are still standing get an extra point on the test. This is a good review, because even those who have to sit down are hearing the words and the definitions repeated - provided they're actually listening, of course!

BTW, I've never heard of a short study diploma - would that allow a student to enroll in college?

5. snowboarder77

snowboarder77 New Member

Jan 12, 2009

Hi Mrs. K - -

I was looking at your reply and wondering if you might be able to send me your Powerpoint Jeopardy. I currently use a home-made poster board Jeopardy game, but would really love to try a Powerpoint version. If possible, could you please send one to me? I just joined this thing and am not sure how to send a PM.

Thank you!

6. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2009

One thing I do for vocab. review is play hot seat. I got this game from: http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache...seat+classroom+game&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=12&gl=us

HOT SEATDivide the class in half and have the two groups select a name for their team; write the names on the board.Each team should have a chair facing towards the members so that a person sitting in it will have his/her back tothe board. To start the game, ask one student from each team to be a volunteer and have him/her to sit in the“hot seat” in front of his/her team. Next, write one of the words on the board and have the students try to elicitthe word from their teammate (who is not allowed to turn around to see the word on the board). They cannotwrite, spell, or do anything else that might be considered cheating. (If students get truly stuck on a word, I willtell them the first letter—maybe even the second letter.) Whichever student in the ‘hot seat” guesses the wordfirst earns a point for his/her team

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 16, 2009

My suggestion is also Jeopardy. I teach high school and find it works well. It gets a little rowdy at times, but once I deduct points when it gets to be too much they settle down again. I unfortunately don't have the link that I get my template from but this site lists a bunch of them
    http://www.shambles.net/pages/learning/games/jeopardy/

8. ncteach0809

ncteach0809 Rookie

Jan 24, 2009

thanks

great ideas - thanks for the suggestions.

9. dtrim

dtrim Rookie

Jan 26, 2009

I like charades. It gets 'em out of their seats and moving. Most kids are engaged in the activity, especially if it's small-group charades.

If the game gets too loud, try charades with Play Dough. Or mix it up with options for Play Dough or acting options.