Final Exam Exemptions

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by bandnerdtx, May 26, 2011.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 26, 2011

Just curious what your high school's exemption policy is for final exams.

In our district, it depends on the grade level and the subject.

Freshmen/Sophomore/Juniors in "TAKS" classes (English, math, science and social studies) just have to pass TAKS and have a 70 or higher in the class. They also can have no suspensions. Absences make no difference.

All seniors (for every subject) and underclassmen in "non TAKS classes" (electives) have to have an 80 or higher, no more than 3 absences, and no suspensions.

What is your policy? Do you think it's fair?

I get a little frustrated with the fact that a kid can exempt my class (a TAKS class) with a 70. I wish they had to work harder for it.

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 26, 2011

Only seniors are allowed to exempt, and only with a 90% or above.

There are maybe three or four other courses that if they score a very high score on a standardized test they don't have to take it, but that is very rare.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 26, 2011

We tie our policy with attendance. If you are passing the class (and a D would be passing), and have been absent less then 4 times in the class, you are exempt from that final. We count all absences towards this policy; excused, medical, funerals, in-school, sick room, etc . . ., This policy certainly has increased our attendance and we have been over the state average for attendance every year since we began this policy. But it also results in very few students taking finals.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 26, 2011

When I was in school it was perfect attendance for the class...HATED it kids would come in sick all the time!!!

I think after I graduated it was if you had an certain gpa in the class.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

May 26, 2011

If you passed the state test you were exempt. I thought it was stupid. Basically, only kids who were going to fail had to take it, so it was an exercise in futility and just made already struggling kids fail something else since the final was much harder than the state exam. I never had anyone pass the final.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 26, 2011

When I graduated, Seniors were exempt from year end final exams (not first semester exams) if they had missed 5 days or less in the last semester. I think it was a good policy- it kept the seniors in school when otherwise "senioritis" would have probably caused a ton of absences. This wasn't true when I was younger, but my the time I was a senior they had started letting sophomores who passed the state graduation test on the first try out of all their final exams. That didn't seem right to me. There were no other exemptions for any reason. Our final and mid-year exams were worth a third of our semester grade- that is the policy I had a real issue with. So you could get an A both quarters, but you might get a B as your final grade simply because you got a C on one test. Or even worse, if you were just having a bad day and got a D or F on that one test, you could knock your A down to a C for your final grade!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 26, 2011

Seniors are exempt from all exams unless they are failing. All other students have to have a 95 and no more than 4 absences, an 85 with no more than 2, or an 80 with no more than 1 absence.

9. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

May 26, 2011

Any student can be exempt if they meet the following criteria:

1) No unexcused absences.
    2) No more than 3 excused absences with a 90+ average in the class.
    3) No more than 2 excused absences with an 80+ average in the class.
    4) No more than 1 excused absence with a 70+ average in the class.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 26, 2011

What I dislike most about our policy is that it makes it more difficult for seniors to exempt than underclassmen. I wish it were the other way around like it is in other schools.

11. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

May 26, 2011

Our exemptions are only for upperclassmen, and they must have a 90% or higher in the class, and have fewer than 6 tardies overall, along with no office referrals.

This generally results in the vast majority of our kids taking exams... very few exemptions.

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 26, 2011

Interesting...

Nobody is exempt for any reason. You could have a 100%, have perfect attendance, and still be required to take the final (which counts as 20% of your final grade). Funny, that's all I've ever know so it's interesting to see all the schools allowing exemptions.

13. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 26, 2011

We had this policy until we were required to make AYP and part of AYP is attendance. Our attendance rate was horrible and consistly below state average. The very first year we changed our mid-term/final exam policy, more than 4 absences or more than 5 tardys, our attendance rate jumped up so much that our attendance records were acutally audited by the state. It is a huge incentive for our kids to be in school and as long as attendance is part of making AYP, I am sure our admins will keep the policy.

14. Math

Math Cohort

May 26, 2011

1st Marking Period = 92+
    2nd Marking Period = 92+
    3rd Marking Period = 92+
    4th Marking Period = 92+

Basically you must maintain an A
    91 and 90 is considered a B..

15. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

May 26, 2011

Our seniors are the only ones allowed to be exempt and they must have a 93% YEARLY average or better.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 26, 2011

There are no exemptions in my school.

17. Born2beTeacher

Born2beTeacher Rookie

May 26, 2011

At our school students may exempt a course exam if they have completed assignments in all classes, have less than 6 total inexcused absences, and have approval from all teachers from the semester in question. Grades do not matter. Option (b) is that students can take all of the exams, but if they meet the above mentioned requirements, they can exempt one that would cause their overall grade to drop (eg. Student doesn't do so hot on her science exam- she can exempt that grade and keep her overall mark up)

18. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 26, 2011

Well, my school has never made AYP except under safe harbor. Not sure how we do on the attendance part of it though. Sure does give students more of an incentive to get to school though.