Fill The Jar!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachingTy2010, Jul 22, 2010.

1. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

Hi..so I am planning to have the "fill the jar" idea in my classroom as when the students are in the hallway or bathroom. One container will be empty, and the other one will have manipulatives in it. When a students has good behavior, they can put a few manipulatives in it...if a student misbehaves, they have to take a few out....

Once the jar they are filling becomes full, the class earns a prize (like a snack)

Question...what should I call it?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2010

Is this going to be one jar for the whole class? If so, I don't think I would remove manipulatives for one student's misbehavior.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2010

I agree. Once earned, marbles (or whatever pieces you are using) should not be removed. In my school, teachers who use this system call it 'The Marble Jar'. :lol:

5. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

Thats true..maybe I shouldn't remove them...and I need a better name..I am not using marbles..its these little foam things I got from Target for a dollar lol.

6. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

I have used this with my class the past two years in a row and it works wonders! I use this as a whole-class positive behaviour reinforcement, and another system for individual behaviour. My theme has been loosely related to frogs and I used jellybeans.... The jar was called "Division 8 is Jumping for Jellybeans"..... with a cute pic of a frog jumping on the jar.

7. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Jul 22, 2010

I saw a teacher use large bells.

8. jsgirl

jsgirl Rookie

Jul 23, 2010

I use the multi-colored little "puff balls" that you can get in the craft section...we call them warm fuzzies - the warm fuzzy jar. This year I am going to use a little bucket from the dollar section at target...we talk about bucket fillers and bucket dippers - so I thought it would be fun to relate it all together. I will probably just call it "our bucket" :)

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 23, 2010

I call it the marble jar. I know, so extremely original. :woot:

10. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 23, 2010

"party jar" ...since you are working towards a party :p

11. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

I think I stole this idea from you a few months ago, I posted asking for ideas- I loved your name! I used the puff balls too, I got some tiny sparkly ones and I found a mini gum ball dispenser at dollar tree which we filled and we called it our kindness jar. Love it!