Fill in activities for K-5

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SpecialEdTeache, Mar 11, 2011.

1. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Mar 11, 2011

Hi. I recently began subbing in addition to teaching reading and math four days a week in an after school grant-sponsored program.

My question is, what would you want a sub to have ready to teach, this time of year, for a fill in activity for your grade level? I've never subbed before, and would like to have a packet of standards based worksheets or activities ready when they finish early and it's not yet time for the next subject.

I've only had to do this once when the teacher left not enough work for two subjects. I had them play a game guessing vocab words from the lesson in science and to make a sentence using an adverb telling how, when, or where from the LA lesson, boys against girls. Then boys got to line up first to go to lunch.

Any other ideas that you would like to see a sub utilize if the kids finished early? Please note: I always TEACH EXACTLY WHAT TEACHERS PLAN. Most of the time, they've done a good job planning for time. But, some don't, so I want to be prepared.

Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2011

Math facts that are appropriate for the level...there are millions of games out there.

Anything with parts of speech....this is covered in most grades.

Read aloud....that was always my favorite.

Any fly swatter game. Basically, write some words or numbers on the board and then give students a definition, sentence, problem, whatever. Two students hold fly swatters and try to swat at the correct answer first. So incredibly easy and flexible.

Writing...any kind of quick write or journal topic.

4. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Mar 11, 2011

I used to always carry multiplication flashcards with me. Kids get super competitive with them and LOVE to play games like Around the World. It's a good compromise because they think you are awesome for letting them play a game, yet they are still doing something academic.

5. SpecialEdTeache

Mar 11, 2011

That sounds really good. How do you play it?

6. SpecialEdTeache

Mar 11, 2011

I got writing paper ready for various grade levels and am taking my Fish is Fish book to read aloud. Thanks for the suggestion.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2011

Around the World: Basically, start at one side of the room. Pair up two students. Give a math fact and whichever student blurts out the answer the fastest wins. The winner moves forward to the next student and these two are given a fact. The student who wins continues to move forward around the classroom, while the other student sits in the desk wherever he/she lost. The student to make it back to his/her original seat is the winner.

You could play Sparkle with spelling words, too.

8. SpecialEdTeache

Mar 12, 2011

OK. Thanks!!!! Now, how do you play Sparkle?????

9. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Mar 12, 2011

Sparkle is another one of my favorite games. The students all stand up at their seats and you say a spelling word for example "again." The first student says A, the next says G, the next says A and so on... When the word is correctly spelled, the next person has to say Sparkle and the person next to them is out and has to sit down. Students can also be eliminated if they give the wrong letter which in that case you start back over from the beginning of that word. You keep playing until only one student is left and they are the winner.

10. SpecialEdTeache

Mar 12, 2011

Sounds fun! I will try it. Thanks.

11. tnv

tnv Rookie

Mar 14, 2011

Just a few

I totally agree with Sparkle and Around the World. I like to use a bunch of different games that my kids can do when finished with an activity. Math Facts are always a needed item....especially when they get to the upper grades. My kids like math games, so I have a bunch ready. The more grade appropriate the better. Obviously, computer based games are kids favorite, but that just doesn't work in a class of 35 with only 4 computers. The games at the positive engagement project are perfect for hands on math lessons, but also for review of skills. I have folders set up in the back of the room with all of materials needed and directions for the games (the directions are really more for the subs than the kids).

tnv