Filing and organization systems

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by robinsky, Aug 23, 2008.

1. robinsky

robinsky Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

Another newbie question! I'm just setting up my rooms and my filing systems, and I'm wondering what people find useful in terms of organizing files. I have the added complication of being in 2 rooms, so I have a rolling file for my most important stuff, and I'm trying to figure out what to keep with me, what to file away, and how to organize everything. What do other people do?

3. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Aug 23, 2008

I was a traveling teacher last year and basically kept on me worksheets for the current unit (so if a student was absent yesterday I was able to get them the worksheet). I also only brought tests/quizzes with me the day i planned to go over them in class. Students who were absent - I would try to remember to put their quiz/test aside so I'd have it the next day, but kids were pretty good about coming to see me real quick after school to check out their mistakes. That way I could file away these assessments in my cabinet at my "home base desk".

In addition to a canvas bag with my teacher edition/notebook with my personal lesson plans I carried this: https://www.redcheetah.com/supplies...2055911648aadae813593022f1f6203a&sku=ROL25633 and found it VERY helpful for organization. You can put hanging files inside to keep your classes handouts organized and the pockets upfront hold kid-sized scissors, or white board markers, etc.....

Hope this helps (and even makes sense!!) Let me know if you need clarification on any of it.

|||EDIT|||
    Turns out the link above is broken. Go to google, and search for "mobile manager carry case", the shopping results are what I was talking about above.

I found this more helpful than a cart when navigating the crowded hallways.
    |||EDIT|||

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  4. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 23, 2008

I was a traveling teacher last year too. I had an empty cart that I put all my stuff on. My best system was as follows:

Top of the cart: I had a 3 drawer organizer with pens/pencils, calculators etc in it (basically the drawers of my 'desk'). I also had a box that I kept binders of my current units in as well as file folders of completed homework assignments (when turned in, I'd label the folder with assignment title, date turned in and class).

2nd shelf. I had 2 sets of plastic bins (stackable). One was for papers to hand back, one was for things for that day's lesson for each class.

bottom shelf: I had a plastic file box I used to store 1 weeks worth of homework in. I labeled folders M-F for each prep I taught and would put my extras in the file box. I always carried 1 weeks work of extras with me. I also had a milk crate with my books and any extras on the bottom shelf.

Additionally, I kept a box of Kleenex and a stapler on top of my top shelf (top of the drawer system).

This worked well for me. I was organized. I kept the cart next to my planning station in the teacher's planning room and used it as an extension of my planning desk.

Good luck! (FWIW, this year I have my own room, hope you do soon too :))