Files, Files and More Files!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teach2boyz, Jul 5, 2009.

1. teach2boyz

teach2boyz Rookie

Jul 5, 2009

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
    I decided to FINALLY begin reorganzing my files. I've just about finished 2 file cabinet drawers; I added about 50 new files.

I'm finding stuff I didn't even know I had. I still have boxes and piles to sort through.

My goal is to get it done within the next 2 weeks.

I'm teaching summer school, so I'll have an hour each night (I'm also a mom!).

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
    (this is what happens when you've been packing up your classroom since 2000-move to 3 states!!!!)

3. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Jul 5, 2009

Wow, good luck!

4. teach2boyz

teach2boyz Rookie

Jul 5, 2009

I will for sure consume the 4 file drawer cabinet that we have!

Break finished, back to the files!:lol::lol:

5. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

Good luck! I share your pain. :)

I just starting going through my office at home since I'll be moving grades this year. I have a problem- be it files, picture books, or resource books. Too many! It's insane.

6. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

I don't use a file cabinet. I keep files on the computer or in binders. I HATE filing cabinets because I never remember what I have. For some reason it is much easier for me to keep it on the computer or in binders. Personal preference I guess. I also throw things away or give away if it is useless. I don't keep anything if I know I will never use it. For example, I got some Kinder stuff and I gave it away because there is no way I will ever use it.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2009

I just started organizing my Readers Workshop and Writers Workshop lesson plans, graphic organizers, and activity sheets into separate binders this summer. I put each page into its own sheet protector for durability.

I also created my S.S. resource binder and organized it all by State Standards. I am already finding that this is much more convenient for me than having file cabinet drawers. Also, I will be able to grab a binder to take home when needed.

I found that papers in file drawers were out of sight and not used as often. I need things at my fingertips. Also, I will be able to grab my binder for small group or carpet mini-lessons and have it all in my hands.
    I'm really excited with this.

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2009

You can do it! I just reorganized my files, got rid of my 4 drawer file cabinet, and put 3 boxes of files into the attic. I am certified to teach several subjects and I just couldn't throw materials away that I might need another year. I feel great and you will too!

9. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 5, 2009

I made a Lang. Arts binder, math binder, and a SS/Sci. binder. I put everything into sheet protectors and a copy of the state standards in the front of each. It's a lot of work, but it's soooooooooo worth it. Now, if my house were this organized.:eek:

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2009

Be careful what you throw away runnerss. It seems as though as soon as one of my friends gets rid of their stuff for a certain grade level that is what they get assigned the next year. Kind of like giving away the crib and baby clothes and guess what happens?

11. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

:lol: very true.However, all I have ever taught is 5th grade math. Well, I lied I did teach Reading and SS my first year. I held onto that stuff and put it into storage. However, if it is below 3rd grade I don't keep it. I don't think I could handle anything lower. I love the upper elementary and 3rd grade would be pushing it.

12. teach2boyz

teach2boyz Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

I'm not a binder kind of gal! :lol::lol: Perhaps I should reconsider!:lol::lol:

I've thrown a bunch of stuff out and I'm making folders for a few teachers at work.

I want to revamp how I organize at school, too. (fingers crossed I get a position---interview on Wednesday).

I have to keep better track of student data sheets, etc.

13. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 8, 2009

Teach2boyz - good luck with the interview. Hope you get the job!

I spent two weeks going through all my papers - tried the file cabinet - didn't work for me. This year put all in binders, in plastic page protectors. Reading binders, Writing binders, SOL Review Binder, Misc. binder. Loosely divided into categories inside each binder and labeled outside. Hope this works! Too much paper! Also went thru thumbdrives and reorganized.

Who said teachers have summers off!

Any of you getting the back to school nightmares yet? Do you even have these nightmares/dreams each year?

14. lovemyjob

lovemyjob Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

I did the same with binders. Condensed a 5 drawer file cabinet into 5 binders- one for each subject (Grammar, Math, etc..) I so use the binders more than files. You see what you have and I tend to put it back right away rather than it sitting in a pile to be filed:)

15. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Jul 8, 2009

Could you come go through my papers too? I've only been teaching two years and I seem to have accumulated so much stuff. I think I will make this my summer project... good idea :)

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 8, 2009

I have thrown away half my life this summer and it was painful to start with and then it got easier.

If you haven't used it in 3 years, pitch it!

17. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jul 8, 2009

I understand - I have only been teaching two years and I have so much stuff! I taught kindergarten my first year and went to fourth grade last year, so I have two completely different groups of stuff! Oh well, at least it is somewhat organized! :) Good luck sorting.

P.S. Am I a dork to say that I love sorting through files? I do not do a good job sorting through my own files, but I love helping other people sort through theirs and organize. :wub::wub:

18. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2009

My advice is to be ruthless. Ask yourself honestly, "Do I really need this? When was the last time I used it? How hard would it be to access something like it online if need be?"

The less you have the less you'll need to organize.