File Folder Games

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mjennings, Jan 13, 2009.

1. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jan 13, 2009

I finally finished putting together my file folder games (thanks to parent volunteers, I bought these 2 years ago!). Now my question for you guys is how do you incorporate these into your lessons ( i have phonics and math folders) and how do you store them? Do you allow your children to access them at any time?

any suggestions or pictures would help

thanks

3. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Jan 13, 2009

Where did you get your file folder games? I want to make some for my classroom.

Even though I don't have any I already know when I'll use them. During Universal Access, it will be a May Do. Math time - I'll have them in a specific area so my "I'm Done" students will have stuff to work on afterwards.

4. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jan 14, 2009

I got them from a teacher store...I have the name of them I just have to find it...i I will post later....

5. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

I have a hard time making all of these games. I would like to have a parent make them but the last time I did this the games were so messed up.

I use my games during reading and math groups.

6. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jan 14, 2009

Do you allow the kids to choose which ones? Do you use them during centers? how do you store them? do you teach them in small group before you let the kids choose?

7. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Jan 15, 2009

I just started making mine too! I will use them in my workstations (I teach 4th). I will probably put 2 different ones in each of my workstations (grammar, vocabulary, etc.)

8. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Jan 15, 2009

I just started making mine today and am looking forward to what others have to say.

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 15, 2009

I use mine during center time. When I didn;t have so many kids I would let the kids take them and work on them after they finished their work.

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2009

I used mine during small group time or when we had a few minutes of extra time. The kids loved them. They were quick and they got back feedback right away. I got my first set from a teacher friend of mine and then I bought more. I have both math and literacy. In fact I really should work on the second set that I have to finish them just in case I might get to teach again. lol

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 16, 2009

In the beginning of the year I made simple sorting and matching games using Microsoft Word. Over Christmas break I purchased a book that contains 15 different games. I just put them all together tonight, and it took about 2 hours. Now they just need to be laminated and they're all set! Here is the book that I purchased (it's a kindergarten book, but it looks like they have games for other grades, too):

http://www.amazon.com/Carson-Dellos...e=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1232161624&sr=8-8

I plan on making the games part of my "Puzzles and Games" literacy center. It will also be a choice for when students finish work early. I would like to introduce 2-3 per week.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 16, 2009

As far as storage is concerned, I plan on just standing them up in a cubby container, because I have tons of them lying around.

13. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Jan 17, 2009

I use mine during small group time, math centers, or when I need them to do something educational while I test another student, etc. They beg me to use them!

As for where to find them, you can buy books at a teacher store (you have to color, cut, etc.) but you can also get ready made ones there too.

14. Ems

Ems Rookie

Jan 17, 2009