File Folder Games

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by neli74, Apr 26, 2008.

1. neli74

neli74 Rookie

Apr 26, 2008

Help please! I spend hours and hours making file folder games for my kindergarten math and literacy centers. I color code the pieces for self correction, laminate everything and attach an envelope to the back of each file folder. However - the pieces are constantly getting lost! Can someone PLEASE give me suggestions for storing the pieces to each file folder game that is less frustrating. :(

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 26, 2008

I make sure that my students are in a clutter free area and have them pack up before they get another folder. I staple a baggie to the back cover of the file folder and I just flip it over so that when it is packed away the baggie is inside of the folder. I hope this makes sense:mellow:.

4. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 27, 2008

I've got the same problem. I tried numbering the back of the cards so that each game was a different number. I've tried color coding things too. You might want to go over again how to put all the pieces back together. Do spot checks when clean up is over and give rewards out (stickers, stamps, extra center time). If you find that you are missing a piece or two from a specific game, tell the kids that they have a special job to find that piece. Offer a reward to the one(s) who find it. This way you don't have to waste you time looking for lost pieces.

As far as storage. I put all the pieces in those large orange kraft envelopes. I put velcro dots on the flaps, becuase those clasps ALWAYS break. You can take a picture of the game, and paste it on the front of the envelope so the kids know what the game is.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 27, 2008

I give the students a big tray to use...so the pieces stay on the tray and not the floor. That being said, before I make the game, I scan the pages with the pieces, so that if they turn up missing, I can use a color printer and replace the pieces. Otherwise the games are worthless.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 27, 2008

I use the giant 2.5 gallon ziplock bags. The kids can put the folder and all the pieces in the same bag and it still fits in a file holder of any kind. I scan my games too and other things that I have to color and know I will use again.

7. time2teach

time2teach Companion

May 30, 2008

Great ideas! What do you use to store the file folder games themselves in? Do you color coordinate the folders for the games (math one color, reading another color)?