File folder games ...tips/hints

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by time2teach, May 31, 2008.

1. time2teach

time2teach Companion

May 31, 2008

Anyone have any hints/tips for file folder games....

What do you use to store the pieces?

Do you use colored file folders and do you catagorize? (different color for different subjects).

How do you store the games themselves?

Any other hints and tips?????
    Thanks!!!

3. MsG

MsG Companion

May 31, 2008

I keep a baggie or a clasp envelope clipped to the folder to keep the pieces in. So far, not many pieces have been lost. I have a crate that they all go in. Mine aren't color coded, but that's a great idea - maybe as I start to make more I'll do that!

4. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

May 31, 2008

I do about the same thing. I staple a baggie or glue an envelope on the back of the folder to keep the pieces in. Color coding is a great idea - I've just been putting the title and subject of the game on the folder's tab.

I have some free folder games on my website, if you're looking for more to print. http://www.positivelyautism.com/downloads_foldergames.html

I store mine in a magazine rack that I got at a yard sale. :)

5. time2teach

time2teach Companion

May 31, 2008

Another question..when you get them laminated, do you have trouble with the crease/fold after its laminated? When I taught before (12 yrs ago) we used clear contact paper what a pain). Now I want to laminate instead.

Thanks for posting the link for more games. There are also a couple free ones here on the A to Z site.

6. MsG

MsG Companion

May 31, 2008

I've never had problems with the laminating! It works great.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 31, 2008

8. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 31, 2008

Yes, color-coding file folder games is a great idea. The gal that I student-taught for had all of hers color-coded and it made it easier to find specific games (she had A LOT).

She stored them all on the top shelf in her classroom and you just had to kind of dig through the colors.

Flat game pieces are easily stored in a zip-lock bag that has been laminated to the file folder itself. Simply take an exacto knife and slit the lamination at the opening of the bag. Same thing with the fold in the file folder. Slit the fold on the outside of the folder and it should bend easily.

Store spinners, die, and other 3-d game pieces in a small storage device on the same shelf with the games and they'll always be handy.

9. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jun 1, 2008

Thanks for all the hints/tips!

I also found a site for generic board game layouts (using the file folders). You just add the questions for whatever level you are teaching. Sounds like a great idea for adding to the sub bag! (not sure yet if I'll be subbing or teaching yet for the fall...)

10. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jun 3, 2008

cutting slits??

A few of the file folder activities I'm doing calls for cutting a slit into the game after you laminate it. How do I do this and not cut all the way through the folder??

11. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 4, 2008

First of all make sure you use a brand new Xacto blade. The duller the blade, the harder you'll press and most likely cut through everything.

It's easier than it sounds. Trust me. Just give a light pressure with a sharp blade and you'll cut through, layer by layer, stopping when you need to.

12. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jun 4, 2008

Thanks ZOOM!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 4, 2008

I got a bunch last year because I switched grades. Some were in file folders, some I just laminated and put the pieces in ziplocs taped to the back.

Another idea that worked well was to staple the game to a BB (I used the back of a bookshelf), staple a small pocket chart next to it, and attach an envelope with the pieces in it. Of course, this won't work with games that are played like board games, but I had a lot of categorizing games and language games where it worked really well. I also put some on the pocket chart stand and kids played on both sides.