file folder centers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by h2omane, Jul 23, 2007.

1. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Has anyone heard of them?

if not they are file folders with center activities in them for the kids to bring back to their desk

my question to toss out to the crowd is:

how do you set them up? Do you have 5 or so for the kids who finish first? what sort of materials are inside, to make the kids want to finish their seat work to try one out?

anyone?

3. patsfan82

patsfan82 Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I have my file folder centers as an option for early finishers. I got mine from 2 books from Evan Moor- Take It To Your Seat Literacy Centers for grades 4-6, and grades 4-5.

4. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

Besides the take it to your seat centers there are also books with actual file folder games. I use these during center time, free time and "when you're done" They kids likethe games and they are learning at the same time. They do take a little time to set-up (color, laminate, cut). They ones that I purchased focused on speific concepts that 2nd graders need, i.e what is a verb?, antonyms, etc.

5. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

do you keep track of who uses them and set that on a marking sheet, or are they just for center time or bonus activities?

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 24, 2007

Mine are for stations (centers) only, but I teach 2nd grade. I have my stations set up where only one group of kids (4) will go to that station per day. Usually if it's a game it requires 2 players. I don't have a marking sheet. Some of the folder activities require a completed page that has to be turned in. The kids are really good about policing each other, so I know who hasn't gone to that center. I spend a lot of time at the beginning of the year teaching my procedures to the kids so they know exactly what to do during that time. I am meeting with my guided reading groups at the same time.

7. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

3 weeks? or 2?

8. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 24, 2007

I have lots made up. I have made my from books that I have bought. I also find them online and create them. In all my file folders they are put together with velcro, so all the pieces stick and stay in place....

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 24, 2007

Well, with 5th graders probably 2 weeks. With my grade level it's very important to teach, re-teach, and reinforce procedures for the first month or so. I usually start with teaching procedures for stations with only 6 stations (1 station per group). The stations are very simple (pattern blocks, listening center, connecting cubes, etc...). I do these for about a week. I then add a new station per day, but reinforce the other stations. It's very important for lower grades to be able to see how each station is supposed to go. I usually teach it whole group, and we go through the entire process.

I've actually read in a guided reading/writing book that it's okay to continue to reinforce your procedures through October. That doesn't mean you are not teaching. It just means your adding your lessons on top of your procedures. Once they have it down, your job is much easier.

10. patsfan82

patsfan82 Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I use mine for primarily for extra work. I don't grade or keep track of students using the centers. But, I do give reward tickets (part of my behavior plan) when a center activity is completed with effort and passed in.

11. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 25, 2007

How many centers do you have running at one time and how often do you change them? Do the students also have seat work they complete before centers? Do the groups move after a certain period of time (you spend x minutes with the r group, and then when you call another group, everyone rotates?)

Sorry to attack with questions!!! Just trying to get ideas...:D

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 25, 2007

That's okay. When all the stations are going I have 12 literacy stations. I'm also doing the same for math this year. Check this link out to see how I run my stations:
    stations
    It is actually a thread I started when I was tryin to get some ideas for math stations, but I explain what I do in detail.

13. julie_ann_

julie_ann_ Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

I'm changing mine...

I have a box of math and reading centers- last year I just had all of them out for them to use during free time. This year, I think I'm going to set out 2-3 centers a week depending on what concepts we're learning about. We'll see how that goes. :rolleyes:

14. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Kinda like having a "center" day on, let's say, Wednesday?

15. julie_ann_

julie_ann_ Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

Kind of, yeah..

I think i'll just set out new folders each Monday- I'm not sure yet.. I always change my mind a few times before I decide on what I'll actually do..l :lol: