File Folder Activities

Discussion in 'General Education' started by each1teach1, Jun 30, 2009.

1. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 30, 2009

I heard about File Folder activities and I was curious. It sounds like an ELED activity, but I thought it my be useful in my level 1 and level 2 Spanish classes. Do any of you guys use them? What type of activities do you include? Do you have the students work independently or in small groups? How do you access mastery and/or understanding?

Thanks
    E1T1 :thanks:

3. minimar1

minimar1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

They are activities to be used in small groups or learning centers. They are mostly used in elementary school, but you can find books of file folder games for middle school as well. I guess you can use them successfully in higher grade levels if you adapt them to their interests.

What is important here, is that file folder games (or other games) are to be played to reinforce what has already been taught and practiced. They should not be used to teach, they are just extra practice for students. Also, make sure there is some final product that can be submitted to you after the game in order to make sure they really focus on the activity. (A questionnaire, an essay, their opinion about the game, a picture, a quiz, a graphic organizer, etc) Otherwise, you might have your students chatting about other things instead of doing what they're supposed to.