figurative language

Discussion in 'General Education' started by runsw/scissors, Jan 3, 2010.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 3, 2010

I am using literature circles in my reading classes this year, and while things seem to be going smoothly I feel like I am missing some things. For example, I am supposed to introduce different types of figurative language and writing such as irony, foreshadowing, metaphore and hyperbole. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is perfect for foreshadowing as is Holes, but how about the others? And how can I teach these when different groups are reading different novels at different times? Any suggestions? :):thanks:

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 3, 2010

It's not difficult to do with language - metaphors and similes, in particular. No matter what books they are reading, kids can jot down their findings in literature resonse journals while they are reading. Or, they could use post-it notes. They can usually find similes more easily than metaphors.

Give a mini lesson with some good examples first. I use the poem, Fog, by Carl Sandburg, as my example for a metaphor. Use common idioms or phrases for similes - as quick as a bunny, sly like a fox, etc. Use Jack Prelutzky poetry for hyperbole. I don't know any particular poems offhand, but there must be quite a few to choose from in his books.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 4, 2010

I have my students use post-it notes too and have them look for one figurative language item at a time.

5. marrbarr

marrbarr Rookie

Jan 4, 2010

6. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Jan 6, 2010

I am not sure if you use roles with your literature circles, but we did. One of the roles is the Literary Luminary (we borrowed the name from somewhere on some website), but this role was to point out those kinds of things from the text. We started with a mini-lesson on the figurative language we included which had students identify the type, and the sentence, then the group helped decide why the writer chose to do this in the story. (Sorry, if I am not describing this well. I'm getting sleepy. Just ask me questions to clarify anything, if you would like.)

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 6, 2010

rws, I use Tuck Everlasting to teach many different literary elements. I have a HUGE novel study, if you're interested.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 6, 2010

I'll take it kcjo! Is it something you can e-mail as an attachment? One of my two classes will be starting this as soon as we get back.

fuzed, what you said makes perfect sense, and I was thinking about trying something similar. I was going to start with a class lesson on the different types of figurative language, have them write down definitions and examples of each, and use stickies to mark pages in the novels so they could refer back to them later. I have no trouble finding _____________ (metaphore, hyperbole, etc.) in poetry, but helping them find it in prose is a whole other matter. And how on earth do I explain irony???

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 6, 2010

rws, it's at school, I'll get it out. It is a bunch of different documents, but I'll try to send maybe an overview so you can see if it's something you want. Is your email on FB?

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 6, 2010

I'll PM you.

11. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jan 6, 2010

Pedro's Journal by Pam Conrad is a great novel for figurative language. :) I have had good success using songs to teach figurative language....Garth Brooks, John Denver, Simon and Garfunkel are great. One of my favorite ones to use is the theme song from the movie Ladder 49.....Richie Robertson's Shine Your Light. The figurative language in it is so powerful. :)

As for irony....I am curious, too, what can be used. :)

12. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Jan 6, 2010

Honestly, I haven't ever found anything for irony other than lyrics from Alanis Morissette's "Ironic" to introduce it. Once students were able to work through the lyrics, it was easier for them to find irony in prose.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 6, 2010

For irony, how about Maurice Sendak's Pierre? It's the story of the little boy who answers 'I don't care' until he tells it to the lion - who eats him. (It's the reverse side of the cassette for Chick Soup With Rice.)

14. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jan 6, 2010

If you Google "poems with figurative language" (or specifically, metaphores, hyperbole, etc...), you'll find quite a bit of examples. There is a song by Fleetwood Mac called Rhiannah (?) that useds similes and metaphores.