Figurative Language Question

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by jojo808, Aug 27, 2008.

1. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Aug 27, 2008

Are hyperbole, personification, and simile, types of metaphors? Or is metaphor a separate type of figurative language?

Also would you say this line was an example hyperbole, metaphor or ?

"...the rat she brought to school was just the tip of the iceberg"

Thanks!

3. kickatstars

kickatstars Rookie

Aug 27, 2008

Similes and metaphors are comparisons, but a simile uses "like" or "as" to compare. A metaphor is a direct comparison.

Hyperbole is an exaggeration (he was the tallest man in the world).

Personification is giving human characteristics to a non-human (ex. the wind whispered in the trees).

The example you gave would be a metaphor because it is comparing a rat to an iceberg.

Hope this helps!

4. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Aug 27, 2008

Thanks. My coworker is saying it is an example of a hyperbole, because it is an exaggeration, As in the problem is as big as an iceberg.

I think it is a cliche.

My brain hurts.

5. stepka

stepka Comrade

Aug 27, 2008

I go with cliche for "tip of the iceberg." Idioms and cliches are often metaphors though--I'm thinking that metaphor is a huge category.

I'm confused about something else though--I'm studying this stuff for a test right now and found an internet site with a quiz about poetry. I took the quiz and missed all the questions about personification because I didn't think "fog coming in on cat feet" was an example of personification, since cats aren't people. All of the other questions about personification had to do with animals too, so I got them all wrong. I'm pretty sure I'm right, but I'm not sure how the test I'm going to take will approach it. What is your understanding of this?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 28, 2008

Tip of the iceberg is definitely a cliche. A great many cliches started life as really vivid metaphors or similes, but they've been used so much that they put the trite in trite but true.

The point of tip of the iceberg, of course, is not that something is necessarily huge but that the unseen part is much larger than the seen part (and, possibly, more dangerous - though that could just be me trying to resuscitate the dead imagery).

stepka, you're right that, strictly speaking, personification should be person-ification - making a person of an animal or inanimate. As often as not, however, it's the term used for figurative language that suggests that an inanimate is animate in any fashion. (I was personifying my inkjet printer earlier this evening. The language wasn't pretty.)

7. stepka

stepka Comrade

Aug 28, 2008

:D Now that's a fresh new phrase.