fifth graders--helppppp!!!

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by missp1481, May 14, 2008.

1. missp1481

missp1481 Rookie

May 14, 2008

Hi,
    I'm a second year special ed teacher and I need some help! Last year I taught a self contained first grade class but this year I am the Resource Room teacher and teach K-5.

I am having some issues with my fifth grade group.
    They are becoming sixth graders. They are SO mean to each other sometimes, criticizing about little things, whispering secrets to each other, etc.

They actually have all progressed a lot academically. I think they really need some lessons in how to act, how to be nice, and how to treat each other! I have the freedom and time to do this with them, so I'd like to try some activities that might help with this.

Does anybody have any activities, games, etc that are appropriate for fifth graders that will help with the way they treat each other--ie, themes of respect, friendship, etc. Everything I have from last year is too babyish for them. They are pretty street smart kids and to me seem more like 8th graders!

Any help, resources, advice are greatly, greatly appreciated!:)

3. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 14, 2008

Can you have a class meeting with them? Hold a discussion on what it means to be a bully. Have them talk about a time someone was mean to them and how it made them feel. It's hard, but encourage them to look at their behavior from the other person's point of view. Did they get along with each other better at the begining of the year? If they did, compare their behavior then with their behavior now. Ask them when they felt more comfortable/happy together. You could also have them write journal-style about the same kinds of topics. Of course, only you know if this is a realistic strategy for dealing with their behavior. I'm having similar problems with my fiftgh graders, and it did help with them. Of course, we still have "drama," but it has improved. Good luck.

4. JustT

JustT Comrade

May 14, 2008

Check with their regular teachers about expectations on creating a safe learning environment. If they don't have a formal expectation.... you can quickly establish one in your room by creating 5 rules/expectations. This late in the year.... they seem to be tattletales and nit picking each other.

5. missp1481

missp1481 Rookie

May 15, 2008

Thanks for your reply. We do have rules posted which I have reviewed frequently. They just don't seem to get the "Respect" rule. They are all friends but are constantly picking on one another, which I don't understand! I guess I'm looking for more counseling type activities to do with them beyond the rules/expectations piece.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 16, 2008

I had a peace club with my 5th grade one year. It helped a great deal.

7. missp1481

missp1481 Rookie

May 16, 2008

The peace club idea sounds really interesting! Could you tell me more about it?

Thanks!

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 17, 2008

Fifth graders become sixth graders is tough. Usually what you describe is end of the year aggrivations and frustrations that have built up for some time and are now starting to surface. I had my students be on the lookout for RAK (Random Acts of Kindness). When they saw a RAK they could write out a Caught Ya! on a paper heart. Then we posted them on the wall. The girls seem to have gotten stuck on "Jessica picked up the pencil I dropped" type of comments, so I had to put a lid on those. It really helped though because the kids were focusing on each other's positive traits rather than what aggrivate them.

9. missp1481

missp1481 Rookie

May 20, 2008

I like that random acts of kindness idea! I can really see it working with my students. I'm going to give it a try!