Fifth Grade vs Third Grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by HermioneGranger, Mar 17, 2017.

?

Which would you rather teach?

Poll closed Mar 20, 2017.
  1. Fifth Grade

33.3%
  2. Third Grade

66.7%
  1. HermioneGranger

HermioneGranger Rookie

Mar 17, 2017

Hello all!

I'm considering moving districts and accepting a third grade position. The district I'd move to has 4 day work week (no school on Fridays ever), pays a lot more than where I am, and has more prep time. I'm debating if all this is worth changing grade levels for. I always said I'd never leave fifth grade.

I have taught fifth grade for 12 years in the same district. I have invested so much time and money into this grade level. I think I'd be in for a big shock with teaching third graders.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions - especially if you've taught both fifth and third? Also, I welcome any suggestions you have in regards to teaching and managing third graders. Thank you!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 17, 2017

I have taught both of those grades (other than middle school math, those are the only self-contained elem grades I taught). I would jump at the chance you have described. Third graders are generally very, very sweet. They are still young children but much more capable than lower grades. They often grow very attached to their teacher because the dreaded onset of puberty is nowhere near (as opposed to in fifth). The only negative at all is if you think you could get a bit bored with the curriculum (I'm thinking of social studies, mostly, though math, too). That depends on you. You can really set third graders up for future math success by using correct terms all the time, continuing with hands-on methods, and doubling down on place value awareness. And the reading ...... what joy! You can still do a lot of fun things with books, projects you may worry is 'young' for upper elementary still works in third.

Really, four day week, more prep time, higher pay. What's not to like?

4. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 17, 2017

Seconding everything Upsadaisy said. 5th graders are great, but I'd easily give up 5th grade for 3rd graders at the school you just described! I have yet to meet 3rd graders that AREN'T generally sweet and great to work with (not that they're all angels or there are no trouble kids in 3rd grade, but my experiences with 3rd graders have always been very positive overall). And a 4 day week, plus extra plan time, PLUS a pay raise? Dream. Come. True.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 17, 2017

I currently teach third, but two years ago I taught fifth... I loved aspects of both, and don't know that I would have a favourite based solely on that (which is funny, because going into teaching, I was sure I wanted to teach second or third grade!) Based on the other factors you mention, I'd definitely be jumping at the opportunity to move to grade three! The kids can be a lot of fun... at first it will be quite a shock when you realize how much more independent your fifth graders are, but you will adapt and it will get easier.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2017

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Upsadaisy likes this.
  7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2017

I have taught all grades (prek to 12) over the years. My all time favorite was 5th grade. I love that my sarcastic sense of humor is appreciated in that grade level. I love the independence that children that age have developed. I also like the fact that we could delve more deeply into topics of interest, especially current events and history. Children that age are just beginning to turn into the teenager that they will become so they still act like elementary students, are funny and loving, and are excited by life.

8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2017

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 18, 2017

Find a school that loops! I'm doing third/fourth.