Fifth Grade read-alouds--

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Tiffo, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Tiffo

Tiffo Rookie

Sep 13, 2006

I am currently reading Charlie & the Choc. Factory with my kids. I was going to do Holes & Hatchet but the sixth grade teacher told me they do those books.

Any other suggestions? I would like to do 4 for year.

3. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Sep 13, 2006

I teach fifth grade and we are reading Gregor the Overlander and the kids are loving it.

It's by Suzanne Collins.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 14, 2006

We just finished Sahara Special and are now reading The Landry News. Both are terrific.

5. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Sep 14, 2006

When asked I always suggest Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli. Or any book by him. We read Maniac and also Stargirl and Crash last year and my class ate them all up. They are higher level books that may have been too hard for some of my kids, but by reading aloud to them they had access to these great books. :)

6. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Sep 15, 2006

I'm reading my kids Loser by Jerry Spinelli right now. They're loving it. They loved Crash last year. I have read Esperanza Rising before and that was really good too. There's just so many good books out there.

7. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Sep 16, 2006

I used to teach 5th. In CA we study American History during 5th grade. I loved reading Light in the Forest about a young pioneer boy living alone in the forest. He is discovered by a tribe of Indians. Letters from Rifka is a wonderful book about a little girl trying to immigrate to America from Russia. She gets ringworm and has to be left behind, eventually arriving in America. She is ill again and has to stay @ Ellis Island for awhile.

8. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Sep 16, 2006

The Pushcart War
    The Phantom Tollbooth

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 16, 2006

I love to read Dear Levi aloud when we are learning about westward expansion. It really shocks them when they feel the impact of how hard life was for kids and adults in those times.

10. Futon 5

Futon 5 Rookie

Sep 16, 2006

I am reading Hatchet currently. Wow, what a great read-aloud. I started the year with Sounder but switched because I thought it was too heavy to start the year. But how could I pull off the switch with the kids? I told them that I sometimes start a book and ask for their feedback on a 1-10 scale. The first few days of sounder got a 5, and the first few days of hatchet averaged a 8-9 out of 10.

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 16, 2006

I know some classes enjoy Walk Two Moons, but mine hated it last year. They also hated The House of Dies Drear. We always vote after the end of a book, giving them 1 to 5 stars, which we then average. I post the results on the wall.

12. Futon 5

Futon 5 Rookie

Sep 16, 2006

Upsadaisy,

I love your enthusiasm for read alouds (other posts). While I student taught, my cooperating teacher did not read-aloud at all. I see now how valuable it is, now that I have my own class. Thanks.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 16, 2006

Thank you, Futon. That is very nice of you. Yes, I am vocal about the topic! LOL We had curriculum night at school on Thurs. and the parents were absolutely in agreement with me that reading aloud for at least 20 minutes a day is one of the most important things a teacher can do.

14. Ms. K

Ms. K Rookie

Sep 23, 2006

I am currently reading "Flush" by Carl Hiaasen. He also wrote "Hoot". My kids are loving it, I love the author's work - he has a great sense of humor when he writes, it gets the kids laughing out loud.

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 24, 2006

I have already read Frindle (which the kids LOVED), and am about 1/2 way through with Hatchet (they beg me to keep reading it lol). I have no idea what I will read next...

I have read in previous years:
    Missing May
    Sounder
    Walk Two Moons (kids hated it!)
    Because of Winn Dixie
    Wrinkle in Time (kids hated it)
    Rosco and the Rats of Nimh

and others I can't remember

Trying to figure out what I want to read next. I have a rather young group- who do not really like to read at all. Perhaps a book with a girl as the main character.

Any suggestions?

16. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Sep 24, 2006

Be a Perfect Person in Just Three Days - short, but hilarious.
    The Borrowers
    Caddie Woodlawn
    The Cricket in Times Square
    From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
    The Great Brain (This is the first of a six {I think!} book series)
    The Indian in the Cupboard
    The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe
    The Mouse & the Motorcycle
    Mr. Popper's Penguins
    My Side of the Mountain
    Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes
    Soup
    The Tale of Despereaux

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 24, 2006

loves2teach - I have a young 5th group this year, too, though they love to read. They absolutely loved the book Sahara Special - and so did I. It is by Esme Raji Codell (sp?) and it is fairly new though I hadn't heard much about it. Great for this time of year, too. That was the first one we finished. Next was Landry News which they also liked, but said Sahara Special was better.

18. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 24, 2006

Are read alouds still good to do in Grade 7?

19. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Sep 28, 2006

Yes!

20. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Sep 29, 2006

The fifth grade teacher I work with read The Landry News and a few others by the same author. The kids were so excited about them.

21. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Sep 29, 2006

I think reading aloud teaches reading fluency - kids hear how their reading should sound.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 30, 2006

Yes, thanks Futon. I agree, kidatheart. When you hear some kids read out loud, you wonder how they can stand to read at all. Some of my kids talk in a monotone, anyway, in everyday speech. I love that special time of day when we all gather around.

23. Futon 5

Futon 5 Rookie

Oct 1, 2006

I am trying to do read-aloud and DEAR (silent sustained reading) both during the day but am finding it hard to squeeze in both with all the other curriculum requirements. How many of you do both daily?

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 1, 2006

I do. Every day. But sometimes my silent reading has to be for only 15 minutes, then they have a few minutes to discuss and do written response.

25. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Oct 2, 2006

Most of the teachers I work with have DEAR time right after lunch - approximately 10 minutes. But they squeeze in additional time by having the kids read anytime they finish something earlier than their classmates (tests, worksheets, etc). As you can imagine, this works great for some kids, not so well for those who are slower to complete seatwork.

As for oral reading improvement, one of my teachers purchased these reading tubes - it allows kids to read in a very quiet voice and be able to hear themselves... that would be great to help them improve their ability to read smoothly.

26. rkmelissa

rkmelissa Rookie

Oct 31, 2006

Amung the Hidden is an awesome book!