Fifth Disease

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, Apr 3, 2008.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2008

We had a student sent home at the end of the day yesterday with a suspected case of fifth disease. This was confirmed first thing this morning. The five (!) pregnant teachers on staff (2 of whom had only just told admin about their pregnancies) were quickly hustled out of the building to go to their doctors for blood tests and advice. Several of us without homerooms were quickly pulled from our regular support roles and re-deployed to cover. I was the lucky one--I spent most of my day in the library reading stories and supervising book exchange.

Any of our teachers who aren't able to return to the school until the outbreak is over will be temporarily reassigned to another school and we will, hopefully, have supply teachers to cover their positions. I'm just wondering how your schools handle this?

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2008

We have had several children with Fifth Disease at our center. We were told that by the time they break out in the rash, they are not even contagious anymore. We have a pregnant teacher. Nothing has been said about it being a danger to her.

4. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Apr 3, 2008

I remember getting that and the doctors not knowing what it was and not sure what to do for me. I had gotten the rash early in the morning and they never decided to call my mom and when she got there to get me I was COVERED.

anyway..i believe that in my center they would try to adjust teachers to other centers so that those more likely to get it wouldn't be around it.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2008

It is our school board policy to reassign pregnant teachers (after blood tests show that they are not immune) to another school until an active outbreak is contained. I think that, at this point, we are waiting to see if any more cases appear--because the student who was sent home is no longer contagious.

I can certainly understand concern, but this caused such "hysteria" in our building today it made me wonder how founded--or unfounded--it is.

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2008

We are not overly concerned. The 3 children who have had it, acted "normal" in every way, and all of them went to the doctor to have it confirmed.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2008

I've never heard of this. What is it, and why is it so bad for pregnant women?

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 3, 2008

Fifth disease is the fith childhood disease--2 types of measles, mumps, chicken pox, and this. It was called fifth disease because it is the 5th childhood disease. My oldest got it from daycare when I was pregnant with my youngest. My peditrician was notoverly concerned with the fact that my daughter had it and I was pregnant so I was also not overly concerned. I guess since the oldest is now 20 and the youngest is 14, the peditrician was right not to worry.

9. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

Apr 4, 2008

I've never heard of it before either. Maybe they just don't tell us about these things in the west..but aren't you from the east Cassie.

Do the teachers that get reassigned just sub at other schools or what?

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2008

The teachers who are reassigned work in the school in any way they are needed. They may cover classes during meetings, pay back preps to teachers who are owed them, help out in the office, work in the library, etc. We had a teacher from another school reassigned to us because of Fifth's in her school, but she had to leave as well, of course.

Wonder what will happen today--hopefully there are subs!

11. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2008

I had an outbreak of this at my previous school, and nothing was done about it either. We had TONS of pg. teachers too.

12. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Apr 4, 2008

Fifths disease can affect that fetus. It can cause birth defects and such. A teacher I worked with as a paraprofessional, had to go in for testing when she was pregnant with one of children. Thankfully, she was not found to have any problems.

From kidshealth.com: Parvovirus B19 infection during pregnancy may cause problems for the fetus. Some fetuses may develop severe anemia if the mother is infected while pregnant — especially if the infection occurs during the first half of the pregnancy. In some cases, this anemia is so severe that the fetus doesn't survive. Fortunately, about half of all pregnant women are immune from having had a previous infection with parvovirus. Serious problems occur in less than 5% of women who become infected during pregnancy.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2008

My lil one had it. It was really kinda scary with the rash that breaks out "under" the skin. I was not pg at the time. Mine acted the same a little more "clingy" & tired than usual, but other than that normal!!! I have pix of the rash!!

14. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 4, 2008

It is also called slap face disease. Because it looks like someone slapped you in the face. By the time the child comes down with the visual symptoms, they are not contagious. My son had it one year at Christmas. He looks like we were beating him in his pictures. We have about four or five cases a year. The only people in danger are pregnant women.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2008

I forgot about that... Now that you mentioned it I remember mine having rosy cheeks. But the doc described the rest as "lacy" in appearance!!!

16. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 4, 2008

I do believe the risk is greatest up to the 15th week of pregnancy. This happened at my school when I was pregnant. Fortunately, I had already had fifths disease, therefore I was immune. Doctors can test if you are immune. But, there had been a few cases since, and teachers were removed until the oubreak was over. I think it is just so scary for pregnant teachers, especially in the primary grades. You deal with germy kids:eek: all day long, and you are trying to protect your growing fetus.

17. kburen

kburen Cohort

Apr 4, 2008

We had at least two outbreaks this year (confirmed). I think I had one in my class, but it was never confirmed (the brother had it a week or so before). He was covered in a rash all over his face and chest and back.

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2008

What do you not have pix of, Diznee! :)

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2008

LOL!! Actually I took a pic of it to send to my mom to see she knew what it was!!! Not much that I'm missing. If it happens in the house I usually have a pic of it somewhere!!! (although I'm not as bad as that Kate from Jon & Kate plus 8 with the whole potty thing...none of those here!!!) Thank God for digital....I would be broke from film!!! I just go out and shoot pix!!! I mean my hubby is the sweetest & have 3 different kinds of cameras to shoot with!!! I know SPOILED!!! I'm so excited it's getting nice so I can get the big camera out!!!

20. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2008

Wow. I'm surprised that I have never heard of this disease. I don't know anyone that has had it. How long is a child out of school for? If by the time the child shows visual signs they are no longer infected then how do you stop the disease from spreading?

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso