Field Trips

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Sep 18, 2018.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 18, 2018

Are individual teachers allowed to take their own field trips or does an entire grade-level team have to go together? Just asking because we have a teacher who doesn't get along with her team and wants to take a trip alone (she'll do her own fundraiser).

Really good teacher--just doesn't play well with others, unfortunately.

Anyway, are individual classes allowed to go on trips alone? Or does your site have an everyone goes or no one goes mentality?

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 18, 2018

I'm at a small school. so it would be one teacher, and some chaperones (aides, etc). There were field trips with combined subjects / teachers. I don't see why a teacher couldn't have her own field trip.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 18, 2018

I guess it would depend on the trip and the system. I could see a principal that likes her approving it. I could see one that doesn't care for her to say NOPE.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2018

For the most part, we have grade level teams doing the same trips. I can think of a couple of examples where a teacher "opted out", but it didn't go over well with the students or the parents.

6. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Sep 18, 2018

In elementary we usually do grade level with the exception of the 'class trip' which each class gets to decide on their own for June. In high school it is based on specific courses.

7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2018

Outside of perhaps a specific "visit" to our classroom (i.e. I've had someone come and show students the inner workings of a gaming system in connection with our electricity/magnetism/circuits science unit), we're expected to plan as a grade. Essentially, aiming for as much equity as possible between the classrooms.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 18, 2018

We can do either.

9. flairpen

flairpen Rookie

Sep 18, 2018

Same. My grade level partner and I usually do all of the same field trips, but once-ish a year we do our own thing. We also sometimes do, field trips where a bunch of grades go on the same field trip.

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 19, 2018

I don't know that it's expressly forbidden, but it would definitely be looked down upon at my school. At my school, grade level teams do everything together.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 19, 2018

Update: we (my principal and I) met with her. We reminded her that their grade-level goal for 2018-2019 was to become a cohesive team. We let her know that taking a field trip by herself would be taking two steps back instead one step forward. She listened, but had her mind made up that she was going on a field trip with her own class.

There is so much bad blood between this team! Nice people individuality, incredibly solid teachers, but they just don’t mesh well.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2018

As an administrator, would it be up to you to approve this field trip? It certainly seems that it might be time to separate this team.

13. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 20, 2018

As much as cohesiveness is a good thing, if they legit hate one another, it's probably a good thing. Field trips are from the pits-of-Hades -level stressful anyway. Forcing someone to go on one with their class to a place they don't want to go, with people they can't stand, while in charge of a group of children, is a recipe for disaster, or at the very least, gossip from parent volunteers who would be bound to pick up on that animosity.

I agree with swansong1. Maybe it's time to break up that team, if interventions aren't working....

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 20, 2018

Well, then... her trip would not be approved and her happy hiney would be staying at school that day. I hate it for the kids.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 20, 2018

The is an MOU (Memo of Understanding) between the teachers' union and the district stating that the only reason we can involuntarily move a teacher from one grade-level to another is due to grade-level fluctuation. That being said, even if a team is toxic, we cannot break them up. Our hands are completely tied.

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 20, 2018

That is a seriously powerful union. We can be asked to teach whatever, as long as we are certified to teach it.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2018

We can as well (and we have a pretty powerful union as well).
    Our grade 7 and 8 team is pretty dysfunctional at times. Our P does recognize it, and has changed the teaching assignments of a couple of us so that we are all with the people we gel with the most (and those who always want things their own way are working together).

18. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 22, 2018

Doesn't anybody WANT to move with all that bad blood?

To answer your question, we can do either field trip option. I've done both.

19. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Sep 22, 2018

I'll bet you everybody wants the others to move if they are as stubborn as they sound.

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  20. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Sep 22, 2018

I think often TrademarkTer is probably right. I've worked in a K-12 and in elem we do get some teachers who want to move - need a change, want to try something new, etc but a lot of teachers would prefer to stay in one grade level for a long, long time so a lot of them wouldn't volunteer to move.

21. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2018

We can do whatever we want. If I do the work to book the trip, book the bus, arrange the chaperones, contact the cafeteria, raise the funds, etc. I'm not going to be forced to take anyone I don't want to.