Field Trips--What are you looking for as a teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeachingHistory, Jun 15, 2013.

1. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jun 15, 2013

I was recently hired to write the entire educational program for a 19th century industrial historic site (no factories, think more along the lines of industry and company towns). While I've worked with educational programs at sites before I've never actually had to write one from scratch.

I was wondering if any teachers out there could take a moment to answer a few questions for me. I want to create something that is not only functional for our site and limited resources, but at the same time something teachers will want to bring their students. Right now I believe we are shooting for grades 3-8, but hope to expand to include all the grades.

1. What kind of pre and/or post visit materials would like available to your students? (vocab, background info., assessment, etc....)

2. If you've taken you students on a history field trip before, what were the most beneficial / educational experiences? What were the least?

3. If it's a museum do you prefer self guided, self guided with activity (scavenger hunt, worksheet, etc.) or walked through with a guide?

I appreciate any help you may be able to give.

Thanks!