field trips - how many?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mary1280, Sep 5, 2009.

1. mary1280

mary1280 Rookie

Sep 5, 2009

Hi everyone!

I'd really like to see what other pre-k teachers would do, i'm not seeing eye-to-eye with the other pre-k teacher in my school on this topic....:help:
    Which would you rather do:

a) go on a lot of field trips (ex: once a month) and take both your AM and PM classes with you. So all 40 kids (with chaperones) on the field trip the same day.

or

b)go on fewer field trips so you can split up the classes. Monday will be AM classes turn to go to the Zoo and Tuesday will be PM's day to go to to the Zoo. So 20 kids (w/ chaperones) each day.

3. greengables

greengables Rookie

Sep 5, 2009

I would prefer 1 a month with both classes. That way less time is lost in the classroom. But we don't even have that option-we are allowed one field trip at the end of the year and it has to be within a certain mileage area. :(

4. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 5, 2009

We don't go on any trips, period. But, if I had my choice it would be fewer trips with one class at a time. Even with chaperones, I would feel spread too thin trying to keep tabs on everyone if there were 40 children running around. My question is, would that be allowed? For that to happen, your classes would each miss a day of school. Can you do that?

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 5, 2009

I dislike field trips. Too many bad things can happen. I would bring the experience to the school.

6. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Sep 6, 2009

We are an all day, year round program so we don't have the dilemma of morning and afternoon classes. However we go on lots of field trips all year round, and we have lots of special visitors come to our school. We do walking field trips in the busy downtown area of our school, we take school buses and also use public transportation to get to our destinations.

Proper planning and supervision eliminate many risks of field trips, and there are many experiences that can't be recreated in the classroom.

7. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 6, 2009

apple picking, pumpkin picking w/hayride to pumpkin patch, local fair to he petting zoo (I'd love to take them to see the circus acts though!), fire station, library, local pottery place to make their own piece (wall plaque or icecream bowl depending on the time of year we go), zoo, Chucky Cheese's, bowling, rollerskating, park for a picnic and kite flying, local theater to see a play, Hannaford for a tour and healthy choices. When we go on field trips we stay within ration by either taking a floater (general aide that floats between classrooms throughout the center) or using parent chaperones. this year my ration for field trips is 1/8.

8. sewsouth

sewsouth Companion

Sep 7, 2009

I only do three a year.
    Apple picking in September. Pumpkin Picking in October and then the children's museum in the spring.

My parents or guardians have to attend the field trip with their children.

They come with them,stay with them and leave with them.

This works out so well.

9. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Sep 7, 2009

We don't do too many field trips, but if we were to go to the zoo (for example), my assistant and I would meet the AM group and their parents/adults for the morning, and meet the PM group and their parents/adults for the afternoon of the same day.
    Each child would have an adult to supervise them.

10. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 8, 2009

we also have field trip tshirts that the parents are required to purchase and the chidlren are required to wear them-- this year they are red with a white logo---the logo has the name of our school on it. having them all wearing the same shirt makes it easier to spot them in a crowd if they should get seperated (never happened yet though) and the name of the school on the shirt helps police etc contact us if a child were to become lost--again it's never happened. We do constant head counts and line ups to assure we have everyone: before leavingthe classroom, the building, on the bus before we leave the parking lot, before we get off the bus at the site, after we get off the bus at the site, as we walk into our destination, once inside, every fewminutes while at our destination, every time we use the bathroom while there (before and after), at lunchtime, afterlunchtime, before we get back on the bus, after we are back on the bus before we leave the site. When we get back to school after getting off the bus and before going in the building, once in the building, again at the bathrooms (always our first stop once back!), and again back in the classroom. If more than one class goes on a trip together, each teacher does headcounts for the individual class and then the teacher in charge does a total head count before the bus rolls.