Field Trips and Behavior Problems

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by WonderW05, Apr 24, 2008.

1. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Apr 24, 2008

We are going on a field trip within a couple of weeks and I am not looking forward to taking one of my students. This student is mean and very hurtful to the students. I have talked to the mom several times and asked her if she could come to watch her. I still haven't heard from mom and am wondering if anyone has ever left a student behind during a field trip because they have been almost to much to handle? what are your thoughts?

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 24, 2008

My daughter's teacher has left kids behind for field trips. This was the result of very off-track behavior during a previous trip. The student was told he could not go on the next trip, and he stayed with another kinder teacher until we got back.

4. Calliope

Calliope Companion

Apr 24, 2008

Maybe contact the parent again & tell her that she'll have to go with you as a chaperone for her son to be able to go.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2008

It's not unheard of for teachers to leave students behind because of their behavior. I would give admin and whatever teacher s/he's left with plenty of advance notice though. Calliope came up with a great suggestion.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 24, 2008

One of my mom's foster kids is banned from field trips for the rest of the year because of behavior problems on a previous field trip. Calliope's suggestion is great.

7. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Apr 25, 2008

I have taken away field trips from students for behavior before on recommendation of the principal. In my school we also have more than a few students who are not allowed to go on any field trip unless they have a parent or grandparent or SOMEONE other than a person from the school goes with them.

8. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Apr 25, 2008

I talked with my principal and he agrees that if a child cannot behave that they should stay behind. I talked with mom about three weeks ago and told her she would have to go with us in order for her to go. I gave mom the information for fingerprinting, but I don't think she has gone. There was some hesitation when I gave her the information to call and make an appointment. I have another mom that has already gone and got fingerprinted as her son is afraid to even touch the pictures in our story books. I am trying to get him tested (it has been a long road) to see if he has autism. We are just waiting for the verification with him. The principal said that he would also talk with mom about him going and how it is important for her to stay with him during this trip.

9. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Apr 25, 2008

I have a student who is on a behavior plan working toward being able to join us on our trip. I have a deal w/ mom and students that if her daily behavior is not great overall she will not join us for the trip . i am determined to stick to it and so far its not looking good for her. I hate that i have to be so tough but otherwise she is just out of control.

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 25, 2008

uh-oh -- it sounds like the fingerprinting is the hangup!!

Here is what I do. I arrange the kids in groups of 3 or 4, assign a parent or 2 to each group, and I assign NO CHILDREN to myself. I am the general supervisor. Take this little person aside and describe the behavior you expect. Maybe put this child in a group with only one other child and an adult, and make the child someone who will model good behavior. Give the kid a chance.

If the kid won't behave, then you put the kid as the only one in YOUR group. This is what I do consistently, and it works. This way a student with behavior problems gets to have the chance to learn how to behave on a trip. You might also have someone on hand who can take the child back to the school if the behavior is really bad, like a tantrum.

I also put the groups in writing, with the parent who is in charge, and write something like "You are responsible for these 3 children from the time we leave the school until we get back into the classroom."

I have found 2 things:
    1)a problem child is usually worse if the parent is in charge of him
    2) parents will often just visit with each other and not pay attention to the kids unless you stress to them THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE for Johnny, Susie, and Mary.

11. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Apr 25, 2008

I am definately sure that the fingerprinting is the hang up. I talked to mom again today after school and her reponse was, "Well, I have just been so busy, I am going to go on Monday." I told her three weeks ago that it takes atleast a month for them to get the results. So, I know now that mom is NOT going. From the way that she was talking that it was not a priority, and I know she doesn't work and have anyother kids.
    I told mom today that that her child had to have several time out today and was sent to another first grade class because of her behavior. I also told mom that if she doesn't have good behavior next week I am going to leave her with another class. Her response was that she agreed.
    So, we will have to see. Our trip is about an hour away from school so I can't see taking her back if she misbehaves.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 25, 2008

I think bonneb has a good idea about putting the child in your group. Maybe making him/her hold your hand if he/she continues to misbehave could work as well.

13. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Apr 25, 2008

I teach 2nd grade inclusion and usually end up with one or 2 behavioral problem.

Luckily there are 2 teachers in my class since it is an inclusion classroom so we usually make up the groups and I have a small group with the child who is a behavioral problem. I explain the expectations and the rules of the trip. I usually tell the child if they misbehave, I will take them back to the bus in they are on site or make them sit at a table with me until the trip is over. That seems to work. I have also spoken to my principal and ask her if she is going to be around if I need to call her about misbehaving.

I am very stern and tighten the reins when we are on the trip. We seem to do fine. In fact, the other teacher will share the responsibility with me to give each other a break if needed.

14. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Apr 26, 2008

I have had to tell a child that she can't go on a trip at all. It was funny because she came be-bopping in with her field trip shirt on the day of the trip like I wasn't serious. (She knew a week and was reminded the day before that she wasn't going) The principal ended up having to physically take her to where the kids who weren't going would be staying.

Last year I had a couple who couldn't go without a parent. This year I have great kids but I know that usually kids act worse around their parents. I always ask the parents that have come to visit us in the classroom a lot to take other kids so they understand they still have to behave. I tell the kids that I will not be supervising anyone but that all the parents have my cell phone number and if they can't seem to follow instructions they'll just have to come sit with me at "x" location. I haven't had any problems...yet. (We're going to the Lock and Dam next Friday so I better not speak too soon.)

15. cmw

cmw Groupie

Apr 26, 2008

I have seen students left behind and also parents required to attend. A student who is non compliant and disruptive not only poses a risk to himself/ herself, but also to all the other children by having so much adult attention focused on him/ her! I do believe students should have a heads up if they are not going. Students with behavior issues in the classroom should be put on a plan so they understand what is expected if the are to go on the field trip. ;)

16. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

May 7, 2008

I will absolutely leave a student behind for behavior problems. They way that I bring it up to the parents is that it is a "safety concern for their child and the other children since they don't listen and follow directions" Before I leave a child behind I do ask the parent to attend or in some cases someone that I trust the child will listen to (I understand that some parents are unable or unwilling to go so if someone else will that's great!) That may help with the whole fingerprinting issue. Just make sure that it is someone they will listen and behave for. If someone can go that person is solely responsible for that child, not a group! I will have them go with a group but they have explicit instructions that the 1st time the child doesn't listen they have to come stay with me. I always send groups out and bounce between the groups so that I can be available in an emergency not responsible for a group of my own.

17. r.hill

r.hill New Member

May 12, 2017

I'm a long term sub/short term employee, I was told by admin that I couldn't keep a child out of the field trip because of behavior. I have a student who had been suspended several times throughout the year and 3 times in the last 2 months. I was told we need to give everyone an opportunity to go on the trip. He was very defiant and uncooperative on the trip. Really ruined it for everyone.

18. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

May 12, 2017

I have a student who missed our field trip yesterday because his behavior has been so bad lately - his mom was actually the one to decide that ("I don't believe in rewarding bad behavior." THANK YOU, MOM.), but if a kid can't follow expectations during a normal day, it's not fair or safe for the other students to have that student along on a field trip.

19. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 12, 2017

Here's the thing I struggle with - a field trip is a learning day. It's not a fun free for all. Its not a reward for behaving all year. It's an experience tied to the curriculum. Excluding a student further from the classroom community will not improve the situation. It's up to me, the teacher, to find a way to include this student. In the past, I have asked parents to come along to ensure their child's success. But I would not have left behind the child without them. 98% of the time the students are so engaged in the new learning environment that behaviour becomes a non-issue.

I have only left a child back once. The day before the field trip he ran away while we were on a walk in the community. His mom decided I didn't need that kind of stress in a large city on our field trip, so she kept him back. That is a logical consequence. Being poorly behaved all year does not mean you miss the field trip. The field trip is not a behaviour reward trip.

20. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 12, 2017

I've had a student not participate in a learning activity because of their behavior. It happens all of the time in science. Engaging in fun and interesting learning activities is a privilege, especially since I usually have to work very hard to put them together. Being a member of the classroom community is a privilege. If a student can't handle that privilege, I've separated them from the rest of the class until they've proved that they were able to handle it again. I usually give them an alternate assignment where they learn the same things but from a less interesting source (i.e. outline a chapter in the textbook and complete the end of section questions about density instead of engaging in the hot-air balloon density lab).

I could see this applying to field trips as well. If they can't behave during the year and you can't trust them on field trips, then they should stay back and do an alternate assignment that still meets the learning goals, but it's not as enjoyable.

Backroads likes this.
  21. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 12, 2017

I tend to fall in the camp that field trips are part of your learning and not a reward.

That said... our last field trip, we had a kid booted off the bus before we left. I saw it as no different than being unable to handle oneself in a regular boring classroom.

No, a field trip isn't a reward, but it's also not a learning opportunity immune to school rules and behavior expectations.

22. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 12, 2017

I completely agree with this. But, it feels a little bit like Santa Claus around Christmas -- "For these next 2 weeks you need to behave or you aren't coming on the field trip". Or, "You have been rude and defiant all year, so you are not coming on our trip." That doesn't sit well with me.

The morning of a field trip two of my students were in a physical fight. I sent them to the office BEFORE THE DAY BEGAN. They still came on the field trip - their fighting was a separate issue. They joined our class and had a great day learning on the trip. Then, the next day, they met with the principal to establish expectations for recess behaviour.

I see both sides - we need to ensure safety and there is a lot of stress on field trip day. But it's also up to me to do everything I can to ensure everyone can be included.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  23. rpan

rpan Cohort

May 12, 2017

I've also had parents withdraw their kids from excursion but those are few and far between. I've excluded students from excursions because of consistent poor behaviour. If I can't trust the kid in class then definitely not on excursion - it's not fair to the other students on excursion if you have to take away from their experience when you have to deal with behaviour issues while on excursion.

If exclusion is not an option then what I've done in the past is for the kid to be my shadow on excursion, they walk with me, they eat with me, they sit with me for the whole day.

24. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 13, 2017

There is also the option of prevention. Judge us if you will, but this year my team did not plan a particular field trip because we had enough students we didn't think could handle it. Instead we replaced it with a similar one, less intense and closer to home.

25. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

May 13, 2017

My former school had a couple of major issues on field trips the year before I started - the biggest being a couple of kids getting busted shoplifting from a gift shop at a baseball game - so all field trips were earned. We had a system where students could earn 5 points a class per day and in the two weeks leading up to the trip, they had to earn 80% of their possible points and have no out-of-school suspensions to go on the field trip. We left lots of kids back for every trip. It wasn't a perfect system and it was a pain in the ass to track, but at that point, it was either that or not go on field trips at all and I guess this was at least some kids got to go. At my current school, students and parents sign a behavior contract stating that participation in field trips and other similar events are a privilege that can be revoked based on behavior and grades, but I don't know of anyone who's actually been left behind for those reasons.

26. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 13, 2017

Yes! Just like any lesson planning, you tailor it to suit the needs of your learners. One year I took a very challenging group to the art gallery and it was perfect - those security guards didn't mess around and my kiddos all stayed in line! ;)

27. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

May 13, 2017

The way I feel about it is that as their teacher, I am responsible for their safety. If I can't trust that child to follow instructions or make good choices while off-campus, I will not take them unless their parent comes to supervise them.

I also agree with what a PP said about it taking your attention away from the other children when students with behavior problems have meltdowns. It becomes a safety issue for all involved.

28. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 13, 2017

It seems like you have a supportive admin and that's nice. At my current school it's common for kids to lose field trips for behavior. They do some type of less engaging/less fun activity back at school that covers the same learning topic. IME, unfortunately a lot of times kids are the same or even worse when a parent attends. Of course it depends on the family and I know there are some good parents who have kids with legitimate emotional disabilities, but a lot of times the parent is a big part of why the child behaves that way in the first place. In other situations, parents are genuinely supportive/trying to control the behaivor and just aren't able to.

Several years ago when I was a classroom teacher our grade level was going to the orchestra. I had a child in my class who spent the majority of her time throwing fits, screaming, being violent, destroying property, etc. The music teacher had stressed that the orchestra was very strict and if there was a disturbance of any kind, they would bring up the lights, stop the show, and kick the offending party out. I advocated for my student to have a behavior plan in the weeks leading up to the trip in order to prove that she could demonstrate appropriate behaivor on the trip. I was accused of "targeting" her (even when I offered to have the same behavior contract for everyone) and wasn't allowed to do it. To make matters worse, I had a sub that day due to required new teacher training. For the performance, my student was placed inbetween the music teacher and one of my teammates and given a coloring book. As I predicted, not 5 minutes into the performance she threw a huge fit and the entire district is now not welcome at the orchestra.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  29. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 14, 2017

At our school students have to meet certain criteria to go on trips. The students who cannot attend the trip will be left at school. It is rare that students act up during the trip because they had to prove themselves able to hold it together. If they can't, their parent has to come pick them up.