Field trip Transportation

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pumpkincup, Oct 19, 2010.

1. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Oct 19, 2010

My sister just told me that for my nephew's field trip the kids broke up into groups and rode in the parents' cars. She drove her son and 2 other kids from his class. Her kids go to a Catholic school in PA. I thought that kids HAD to take a bus.

It makes me wonder....Do any other school systems allow parents to drive children on field trips?

3. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Oct 19, 2010

Seems like a huge liability to me. Maybe their permission slips have them sign some kind of waiver?

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 19, 2010

It is very common for small Catholic Schools. At ours, there have to be 2 adults in each car, and at least one of them has to be certified in a program called "Safe Environment." We also need a copy of the driver's license and insurance. Students, of course, have to bring in signed permission slips. It is a lot of organizing.

5. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Oct 19, 2010

That is the way my school works. Buses are way too expensive here. The kids must have a signed indemnity form on file and a permission slip must be signed. The drivers must have a background check and take a "Youth Protection" class.

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 19, 2010

Wow. I went to a Catholic school growing up (not too long ago!), and our parents always drove. But there were really no requirements. No background check, no class, etc. Private schools don't have to follow the same guidelines as public.

7. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Oct 19, 2010

I imagine it would save a lot of money. For 2 buses to go about 40 miles round trip it costs us about $700. I just didn't think that schools could do that anymore.

8. alschoolteacher

Oct 19, 2010

I work at a small Catholic School. It is diocesan policy to have the background check and Youth protection to volunteer in the school in any capacity. Drivers have to fill out a driver form allowing for a driving record check as well. 2nd grade is the first year the kids go on field trips, so the 1st one of the year is quite the pain to plan! It takes forever to get all the paperwork done!

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 19, 2010

In my public school, parents always drive. Busses cost a lot of money, and with parent drivers, the parents incur the costs by using their own vehicles. There is a form to fill out, a high insurance coverage required, and a copy of the driver's license goes on file.

We would not do many field trips if we had to pay for a bus.

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2010

Where I work: Buses charge a lot. No money for them. Parents not allowed to drive = no field trips at all this year unless it's within walking distance. And our school is in the suburbs. Most kids take the bus to school.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2010

Buses are expensive here as well, but we build their cost into the cost of any trips we take. Parents cannot transport students on field trips, but we do use parents (with waivers signed) as drivers for sporting events. Teachers are strongly encouraged to never transport students in their vehicles.

12. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 20, 2010

No buses for field trips in our budget either. Parents must provide proof of insurance, their drivers license and pass a background check.

13. alschoolteacher

Oct 20, 2010

Proof of insurance was the one I couldn't remember! Our drivers need that as well. We are encouraged to keep our field trips under $10. It would cost us more than that per child for a bus! Our next trip is a walking trip to an art studio, but it is one of two places that we can walk to. We also have to get special permission from the superintendent for any field trips over 90 miles away.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 20, 2010

When my kids went to Catholic schools, parents drove. It was a small school that the archdiocese eventually closed for lack of money, so you can imagine there wasn't money for buses. I drove as often as I could, as did my mother, because we both have CDL's and my mother owns a 15 passenger van. That made things a lot easier, when a huge chunk of the class could get into one vehicle.

Of course, we all had to provide proof of insurance, have had a background check (required for parent volunteers in any capacity), and have a clean driving record.

15. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Oct 20, 2010

In our district, students HAVE to ride the bus when going on a field trip because of the liability. This surprises me because down here things seem so "laxed" so it's odd they are so adiment about buses.

(public school)

16. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2010

Students here can and often do ride in teacher and parent's cars. They have to have a background check and Safe Environment training.

We also take public busses, and at times charter a bus. The most interesting is the public buses. People don't hesitate to act completely inappropriate in front of the kids.

17. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 20, 2010

Here, teachers are not allowed to transport students under any circumstances.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2010

We take our school busses on field trips, but they are so expensive! When we take field trips the students pay $4 or so just for the bus. I know it's not out of this world, but especially when the majority of our students are free/reduced lunch, I find it to be a lot. Anyhow, I know a couple years ago a few parents drove to the field trip and then their children wanted to ride back with them, and then a couple friends of the students wanted to tag along...those friends had to call their parents for permission and it was approved.

19. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 20, 2010

I have a personal policy not to drive my own students. I like to co-pilot with a parent driver. I do drive on my daughters' field trips though, whenever possible.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 20, 2010

I attended a private school from K-7th gr where there were only about 25 kids in my class. My childhood was throughout the 80s & there were times we rode in parents' & teacher's cars for certain field trips. I've actually never thought about this topic, except for seeing this thread now.
    I wouldn't be surprised if certain private schools w/ small class sizes still do that nowadays, but it's probably pretty tough for much larger public school classes to do.

21. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 21, 2010

We used to walk to my house in grade school for an easter egg hunt...

I remember in jr. high riding in teacher's cars for math team competitions, but bigger field trips we took a bus.

We have field trip money (that we can use for busses) built into the PreK grant... which is nice, because otherwise, they wouldn't be affordable (the vast majority of our families qualify on income as one of their factors). Unfortunately, I don't have any of that grant money at the moment, so no trips for me unless we can walk, and there isn't anywhere besides the village hall/police station in walking distance. That's our evacuation spot.

22. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Oct 21, 2010

Parents and teachers provide transportation for our field trips. We require proof of insurance on file with the office. When I drive I am covered by the school's insurance policy.

23. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Oct 21, 2010

We did when I was in elementary school. I always thought it was weird to ride in my teacher's car. I specifically remember her bringing a group of us to her house after school for dinner. I cannot imagine driving my car with students in it.

24. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 22, 2010

I wonder what would happen if the car was involved in an accident.
    We use school buses and they are free,but not easy to get.