Field Trip to the Mall??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachin4ever, Dec 5, 2010.

1. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Dec 5, 2010

Hey everyone!

I currently teach one honor's 7th grade pre-algebra class and we just got done discussing mark-up, discount and sale price. I'm learning in my master's class that it's important for students to see how math is related to the real world.

I thought it might be fun to take them on a field trip to the mall and somehow have them do a project where they have to incorporate mark-up, discount and sale price. I'm just not sure exactly how to go about this. We have digital cameras for students to use at school, so I thought I could somehow incorporate them into the field trip. Or I was thinking of some kind of a scavenger hunt?

Has anyone done anything like this before? I want to make sure it's kept strictly educational. No Christmas shopping while we're there!!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2010

I'm not sure if you could do mark-up unless you asked one of the businesses to talk with your students. However, you could have the students use ticket prices and discount signs to calculate sale prices, or sales prices and discount signs to calculate original price. This could be more easily done by using advertisements from the newspaper. Not as fun though.

4. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Dec 5, 2010

mopar -

I agree with you about markup. Not sure how that could get incorporated.

And I know bringing in ads would be just as easy. My husband even suggested bringing in actual items and assigning them a price and having the students do their calculations in class.

But, like you said, it would be more fun to go to the mall. :) Plus, it would be a math field trip that they would probably really get into and learn a lot from!

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 5, 2010

This might have changed, but when I worked for Bloomingdales, security would get involved when customers took pictures of the merchandise.

While a mall field trip might be fun, I don't know that your admin would go for it. Maybe a long term homework project might be better. You could get a couple store managers on board, and tell your students that the managers at stores A, B, and C would talk to them about X, Y, and Z, then give them a week or two to go in and do the project.

6. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Dec 5, 2010

mmswm,

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for the suggestion! I appreciate it!

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2010

Instead of a mall, it might be easier also to just chose one store (Walmart, Target, etc). Then it is a little more contained and you only need to talk with one store manager.

I know that we used to do a mall trip, but then our admin stopped that idea.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 6, 2010

This was going to be my suggestion also. And to add, maybe by using one of these stores, you could get managment to work with you to involve your students in your target objectives. I would think Target/Walmart mangement would love to help you with your lessons on mark-up, discounts, etc . . . .

9. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Dec 6, 2010

My kids have both been to field trips to the mall. My daughter in grade 8 is going on Thursday. We live close enough to walk.
    Last time she went she had to pick out an outfit consisting of five articles of clothing. She then had to figure out the true cost, and several different costs depending on fictional sales of a few items.

The kids have fun and they get some actual practice using their new math skills. I think it is a great idea.

10. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2010

Some shopping centres are very sniffy about photos. Some companies don't like their logos being snapped.

Maybe you could be a bit more specific. Give them a list of items that will be on sale and they can look about to find the best price. Try and select items that will be sold in several stores and also get them to note things like sale notices that claim a discount from the 'original' price. Notices that display 'savings'. They can then calculate back at school the % 'saving' from the original prices.