Field trip to: Salem, Mass! Need some advice!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by StudentTeach, Sep 28, 2011.

1. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Sep 28, 2011

My 11th graders are in the midst of our Puritan/Crucible unit and they have been BEGGING me to organize a field trip to take them to Salem. After much frustration and deliberation, it seems like it will actually happen! (Pending board approval. No reason it should not be approved). We are going in November and will have between 4 and 5 hours to be Salem due to time constraints and that it is at least 2.5-3 hr drive by bus. My tentative plan was this:

- Pioneer Village (Puritan village with 1 hour guided tour; a bit a ways from the downtown).
    - Salem Witch museum in downtown; 1 hr
    - Eat/explore/shop and return to the bus.

I'm thinking of substituting the Pioneer Village with The House of the Seven Gables mansion. Has anyone gone to either of these and have some advice for me? It's hard to plan an itinerary since I've never been and don't know what to expect!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2011

I would speak to a travel agent who has some experience with tours.

He or she will have a better idea of the timing, the details, and the possiblities for discounts. Plus, he or she can take care of getting you the bus, and find a restaurant that can accomodate a group of your size.

Since they work off commission, it won't add anything to the cost.

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Sep 28, 2011

I would recommend the House of the Seven Gables as you can easily walk there from the Salem Witch Museum (which I would allow a minimum of an hour - but preferably longer - for). It might be neat to just walk around a little bit of the town. I know they do have a town tourism website.

5. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Sep 28, 2011

The House of the Seven Gables is awesome!! The tour is great. We take our 8th graders there during our Boston trip every year.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 4, 2011

I've been and loved the House of the Seven Gables.The witch museum, well, kinda creeped me out. I had wanted to go to Salem for years and we found ourselves plopped down there. It was very interesting. What a great way to bring the lesson home to your students! The Crucible is one of my most favorite books and totally hooked me in HS.

Get as much info as you can before you go so you can make the best choices.

7. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Oct 4, 2011

I've been to "The House of the Seven Gables" and I think the kids would enjoy it. From an adult perspective, I was a little disappointed because it was more like the "The House of the Free Enterprise." They were selling soft-serve ice cream out one window, gift shop in another area............enough to make ol' Nat Hawthorne cry.

I thought the cemetery where some of the witch trial judges and early residents are buried was interesting. You might want to look that up. I thought it was/is fascinating because it's genuine. It's not fabricated and there they are, the real people, right there.

My only other advice to not let any of the locals see anyone writing with their left hand. That's a sure sign of a witch and your stay there will likely be extended for a significant amount of time!

:p

8. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 4, 2011

Ms. I the graveyard would be awesome! I like the way you put it - it is genuine. The witch museum was rather contrived also. There are actual gatherings on the green in Salem of real practicing witches today. The historical account of the Salem witch trials leans toward the fact that there was no real witchcraft going on, but hysteria and possibly a chemical issue due to mold on the rye that they used, which caused hallucinations in the girls. It's been a while since I looked into all this.

9. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 4, 2011

We went to the House of Seven Gables and it was interesting. It is is definitely "capitalized" but it would probably not be in the shape that it is in without the extra dollars. The back lawn of the house is beautiful with sweeping views of the water. We took several pictures including our class picture of the year. We had a great time, I hope you do as well!

10. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Oct 4, 2011

I went on a field trip to Salem with my students a few years ago. We used Hawthorne Tours. The tour guide got right onto our coach bus, and took us around Salem while telling the story of all of the different places. We then got off of the bus near the cemetery, where we had a walking tour in that area for a while. We also went to the Witch Museum, Witch's Dungeon (where they reenact a witch trial), and left the afternoon for students to walk around the shopping area.

11. Anonymousteach

Anonymousteach Companion

Oct 4, 2011

That sounds like an awesome field trip! As a History Teacher-to-be, I approve! I wish my teachers in school took us on field trips!