field trip this spring

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by teacherhoosier, Feb 15, 2011.

1. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Feb 15, 2011

Hi all,
    I am wondering about ideas for field trips with my class in the spring. I have a small class (12) and plenty of parents to go with me, so class size isn't a factor. I was thinking of going the Thursday before our spring break (March 17th) and then maybe doing some kind of picnic or something in the park at the end of the year to celebrate (not sure if I can get a bus for that or not). We live in a rural area, and the biggest cities near us (Indianapolis or Cincinnati) are a hour and a half away, so travel time eats a lot of our time up. I know that it's ok to get back after the school day is done (other field trips have done that), but so many of my kids ride the bus, I'm afraid I'll be having kids that aren't picked up...any ideas on trips that have worked well in the past??

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2011

Research what is in your area. What is your area known for?

We have taken field trips to the historical society, museums, local businesses, town council meetings, forest preserves, planetariums, etc. There are so many options that don't involve too much travel.

4. bondo

bondo Cohort

Feb 15, 2011

What about to a farm? You live in a rural area anyway. Maybe a local farmer would be willing to show the kids how his farm operates. The trip could conincide with a unit on farm animals or farm life.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 15, 2011

I like the idea of something close by. Even if it is the country convience store.

1. Pizza parlor--of course each kid got to make their own pizza.
    2. Farm--with lots of animals that the kids can touch, maybe a horse to ride.
    3. A wildlife area where they could list birds they see
    4. A greenhouse to plant seedlings or seeds.
    5. Fish hatchery

Any of these close by?

6. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

Feb 27, 2011

Yes! I agree with the farm. Learning about the animals would be fun.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2011

What content areas/themes can you connect to a trip?
    Nearby we have a working farm where kids learn about how fruits and veg grow and the the go into the 'health barn' and make smoothies
    We have 2 nearby nature centers with naturalists that will do walks/activities on habitats, animals, water, rocks
    If you study community, you could go to the. Post office, fire dept, police dept
    Food store or bakery...I took a class full of PreK kids to a bagel store one day and they shaped bagels...
    County zoo...ours has a train ride and picnic grounds

8. bondo

bondo Cohort

Mar 8, 2011

I think going to a state park would fun. They are usually well-maintained and have some kind of creek or waterfall. We took our kids to our local park and they had a blast. It was not very structured, except for walking along certain trails. We had a picnic with one parent volunteering to grill, which was extra nice. Sometimes simple is the best way to go. Have fun planning your trips, its one of my favorite things about teaching.

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 14, 2011

so where did you take your students?

10. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Mar 15, 2011

We are going to go to a nature reserve nearby in the morning and then after we eat lunch, go to the local fire station in the afternoon..thanks so much for the suggestions everyone!!