Field Trip Suggestions

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Big Mamma E, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Big Mamma E

Big Mamma E Rookie

Mar 12, 2008

Hello my name is Erin and I am a studnet teacher. For one of my classess before I graduate I need to plan a field trip. The catch is that it cannot be at the zoo, aquarium, or science center. Does anyone have any suggestions that would be helpful. Please let me know...

Thank you,
    Erin:unsure:

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 12, 2008

Is there any particular grade level or content you want to focus on? Where are you located in Maryland? Would it be possible to take a day trip to one of the many Civil War historical sights? How about a trip into DC to the Smithsonian or to see the Declaration of Independence/Constitution/etc? Without knowing where you are in the state it's kind of hard to think of what is near to your location. Check the art museums too. Sometimes they have special events and programs for children. Maybe one of these could tie in with a unit of study. Kids need more exposure to the arts in my opinion. Is there a theater for young people that puts on performances?

4. ktown22

ktown22 New Member

Mar 12, 2008

A trip to the Farm

One of the field trips that I remember from school is a trip to the farm. We went to a local farm and spent the afternoon there looking at the different animals. We got to see the chickens in the chicken house. We also got to go to the dairy barn and see how the cows are milked. The farmer even showed us how the milk was stored and how it was processed and shiped. If there is a farm close to where you are I would recomend this. Most kids who live in a city never get to see animals or how they are raised unless they go to a zoo or know someone who lives on a farm. It is very a fun and exciting trip for all.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 12, 2008

We go to the Arts center once a year.
    Or you could do a field trip to another school and have students partner up with an younger/older student. They could do some type of Reading Buddies, or Author's Day.

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 12, 2008

We are planning a trip to Uno Pizza Restaurant as part of our Social Studies unit on goods and services. Not many people know they do this. The restaurant wanted to charge $4.99 a student but we called the corporate headquarters and found out they can only charge $1.99. Kids get a tour and make a pizza.

7. annafish

annafish Companion

Mar 12, 2008

I like the pizza idea! I think our local pizza hut does that or any restaurant may do something like that. Places in the community are great for this age and ties into Social Studies. A local firehouse? A local factory would be great as well.

8. calalily18

calalily18 Rookie

Mar 12, 2008

i am also in md...one trip that i think would be so cool to go to would be the junior achievement "biztown" in owings mills. you can google it to read more...the kids go there and they get a job for the day and learn all about economy and how the world works, complete with costumes. hope this helps.

9. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2008

Erin, I'm also in Maryland. I'm planning a trip to Annapolis, hopefully for next week. Where in Maryland are you? I'm near the PA line. We homeschool, but we've done some nice field trips. We've been to -
    Mason-Dixon dairy in GBurg,

our police station( they put my 7 yr old in a holding cell!),

our bank, for a tour and info on how money goes through the bank

the BSO

the Snyder's factory in Hanover, PA

our town office, to learn about laws in the town and the consequences of not following them.

our county landfill, to learn about how the county handles the trash that comes in.

When I think of more I'll post them. What grade is this for?

10. Big Mamma E

Big Mamma E Rookie

Mar 17, 2008

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful ideas. Sorry it took me so long to relpy back. I am located in Bel Air, Md which is close to Baltimore. I was thinking of going to Washington for the day but I am worried about time. I am also having troubles relating my ideas to science, since I cannot use the aquarium, zoo, or science center.

Has anyone visited Port Discovery?? Would that be a good option?

Thank you again and let me know any other ideas.

Erin:thanks:

11. Big Mamma E

Big Mamma E Rookie

Mar 17, 2008

Sorry I should have included the grade. I am trying to think of ideas for any of the primary grades up to third.
    Thanks

12. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2008

Port Discovery is okay, but there's this huge, climbing thing right in the middle. It's several floors, and it's really easy for the kids to get all up in there and you trying to get them out! There are some very nice things to do there, and classes you can get in on, as well. Check their website for class info.
    How about Flag House or the Dental Museum? We were just to the dental museum two weeks or so ago. How about tthe Walters Art Gallery? They also have classes you can get in on.

13. Eneli

Eneli Rookie

Mar 17, 2008

Bowling!

I am the fieldtrip coordinator for my grade level. I live in South Florida where it is extremely hot at the end of the year, so this year I decided to take all the 200 students at my school to the local bowling alley. They are going to learn all about force and motion (gravity, friction, push, pull, etc.) through a fun hands-on method. We are also going to discuss the scientific method with the students and teach them about variables and controls. I hope this helps.:)