Field Trip Refunds?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacher143, Dec 18, 2008.

1. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Dec 18, 2008

We went on a field trip that I had to prepay to reserve. Due to an illness, some of my children were too sick to even come to school that day. If I refund the tickets for the sick kids I will have personally paid for a seat not used. What would you do?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 18, 2008

Didn't the venue issue a refund? If the venue didn't return any money and the school will not make up the difference, I would not pay for a child's refund out of my own pocket.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 18, 2008

I agree! Next time get the school to give out their credit card number or send a check.

5. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 Companion

Dec 18, 2008

We always have a disclaimer on all our field trip permission slips/notices that states that refunds will not be issued unless the trip is canceled due to an unexpected school closing, such as a snowstorm.

I highly recommend something like this for your future field trips.

And no, I would not personally refund anyone's money.

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2008

Did you go to see a play? If so, theaters almost never give refunds for unused tickets, unless they are the ones that cancelled a performance. Parents should understand that.

7. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Dec 19, 2008

Yes, we went to a play. Next time I will put a disclaimer on the permission slip.
    I thought that I was not responsible for paying out of pocket, until a student asked me for money back. I will call home and talk to parents about the non-refund. Besides, it was an inconvenience when he and his chaperone called and canceled the morning of the trip.

8. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2008

What they said!

9. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2008

This just happened to me this week. The day of our of field trip to see a play a girl got sick and threw up all over the place. We sent her home. Her mom was also coming with us. So at the last minute I had to find another mom to come with us. She paid so I refunded the first mom's money but was unable to refund the child's money. The mom understood and was just thankful I found another mom to take her place and was able to get her money back. I had another child that day home sick too. I checked with the theater and they wouldn't issue any refunds.

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2008

no refunds for us, but I like having the disclaimer on the notice

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 20, 2008

We have it on our permission slips, too. If the money goes to something that had to be reserved, then we can't refund the money. If it was just for gas, bus driver, etc, then we do.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2008

With us, it depends. If our admission or tickets have been prepaid, there isn't a refund; if we are paying "per head" when we arrive, we may give a partial refund depending on the reason for missing the trip. A full refund is difficult as the cost of the bus has been factored into the student cost and the bus cost isn't dependent on the number of students.

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 21, 2008

All my children's filed trip forms have a disclaimer that money will not be refunded for any reason.