Field Trip Question

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderCowgirl, Oct 12, 2012.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 12, 2012

To split up into groups or not split up into groups--that is the question. It's our first field trip, we're going to the zoo. I would love to stay together as a group so we can all see the same things, I can point out things for instruction with all of them--however, I have a big class this year. I wonder if they would get more out of it if we split into smaller groups. I also don't like splitting up because some parents spend an hour in the gift shop or don't bring their group back to the bus on time. I like having them all in my sight the whole time because ultimately, they are my responsibility.

So what do you normally do in a field trip situation like this?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2012

I generally have a class size around 20 students. We stay together.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2012

Can you split them into groups and have the two groups stay relatively close together. Maybe put a parent in charge of each group so that you can float and be around to help where needed.

5. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Oct 12, 2012

Mopar's suggestion sounds awesome. I typically like to assign a reponsible parent to a group and then float between groups. That way I am free to trouble shoot any problems that may arise in either group.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 12, 2012

I have 28 students, plus me, plus probably at least 10 parents and their other kids that they inevitably bring.

I do like the idea of splitting into 2 groups and staying close together--thank you! That way I wouldn't have to give out my cell # either. ;)

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 12, 2012

That is a good idea! I only went to the zoo with my class 2 years and I hated letting the kids go off with the parents, made me crazy anxious not being able to keep an eye on them. Now we go to the children's theater instead and don't need chaperones and we all stay together. I also think most of my kids have been and will go to the zoo, but few, if any, have been to see a play.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 13, 2012

Oh, I completely agree. We try to go somewhere every month and really had to get something planned before the parents rioted :p. With such a large group of Kinders (we have 120 on the grade level) it was hard finding a place where we had to get tickets. We're going to a play in December. ;)

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2012

You're so lucky! A trip a month! Every grade level in my district gets 1-2 a year.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2012

Kinder... I taught 1st and we went to the zoo. We split up into smaller groups. It was nice to be able to float between groups. Each group was about 3-5 kids. I think that way it makes it easier for the parents as well. If there were a couple of main things you wanted to do... I would go to those spots as a big group and then split up.

All of our kids/parents made it to the bus on time. Also many of them didn't spend all day in there either. Some went early (like as soon as we split) so it wouldn't be busy.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 13, 2012

Our school is big on field lessons. With our demographic most of our kiddos haven't had a lot of real-life experiences-so we can go on as many as we want to. The hard part is doing the fund-raising to help pay for the buses, but as long as we can cover that....

12. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Oct 13, 2012

We only get to do 2 field trips a year. So sad! I prefer to stay as a group since I'm ultimately responsible for everyone. I've never been a fan of dividing class into 4-5 kids/parent and letting them go off on their own. I've done it but I just prefer to stay as a big group.

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2012

We aren't allowed to fundraise for the costs either. Most of our parents would happily pay for it, but other schools in the district have parents who cannot afford. So to make it fair, everyone was limited to 1 or 2 trips depending on grade.

14. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 13, 2012

One of our teachers takes the parent numbers and uses *67 before dialing them.

I think with that many parents you might assign duties to each group. (14 kids, 5 adults per group and you between them) One parent could be the head of line, one the middle of the pack, one in the rear. One could be the perpetual count person and another could be the restroom runner or something. Then, it is easier to have 2 groups with that amount of people.

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 14, 2012

For the zoo, I prefer to split up. I usually have enough parents going that it's not a problem, other then getting them back on time to load the buses.

I may change my mind though. We just went to the farm & a corn maze. Everything was great up until we were getting ready to leave. I had a little boy & no chaperone in sight. She & her son were already on the bus. She will not be chaperoning again. :(

16. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 14, 2012

That's great! I student taught in a district that had a behavior based field trip once a 6 weeks and several grade level trips a year. It was a 10 minute drive to the beach/ocean and a large majority had never been.

We get 2 bussed trips per year - one is to a district science center and the other is up to the grade level. We also walk to 3 field trips per year - the fire station, the park for an egg hunt and to play, and to the public library to learn about the summer reading program.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2012

I had a dad chaperone one year when I took kindergarten to the zoo. He parked his group on a bench while he went to the men's room and then to get himself a hot dog.:dizzy:

18. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2012

We had our zoo field trip last week.

I split the class into groups.

I don't give myself a group, instead I float between the groups so I can pull aside any kids who are giving the parent volunteers a hard time.

I don't know how it is at your school, but at my school if I tell the parents that they are to not take the kids into the gift shop under any circumstances, then they do not take the kids into the gift shop. They are also told to avoid the snack bar and the train ride. I've never had a problem with them not following my instructions.

We also have a very strict rule regarding other siblings on field trips. They are not allowed. Since we generally go on a district school bus, I don't really need to enforce it because the bus drivers do that for me. If a parent decides to drive their own car and meet us there with another sibling, they are technically no longer a parent volunteer.

I limit the number of parent volunteers as well. I can't stop parents from driving their own car to the zoo, and meeting us there, but I can say who gets to ride the bus and who doesn't. We also don't allow parents to drive their kids - all kids have to go on the bus.

It sound to me like you might want to lay down the law to the parents regarding field trip rules.

19. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 14, 2012

Unfortunately, we don't get very much support from our admin in that area. One grade level had a parent show up to an event where the parents paid for tickets ahead of time-she hadn't paid; and also never completed the procedure where they have to be cleared with a background check. They were told they couldn't help chaperone, because they didn't follow procedure. The parent threw a fit and wanted to take their child home. Our policy is if the student rides the bus there, then they have to ride the bus back-they are our responsibility unless they are checked out at the school. The teacher called the school and talked to the admin and they said just let the parent stay.

We also have a rule against siblings, but if they show up with them at the destination-especially if it's something public like the zoo, there's not much we can do. I know I would not be backed up if I said they couldn't come with us because of that.

20. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 14, 2012

There was a class in our group one year (not mine, thankfully) where we went to load the bus and couldn't find one of the students. We were delayed over a 1/2 hour running around trying to find him-- to find out his mom had come and picked him up without telling anyone. The mom that was chaperoning hadn't noticed he was gone until the teacher counted all the kids at the bus. That kind of thing really scares me. :(

21. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2012

I would have let the parent take the child home, and then see to it that the office marks it as unexcused.

Honestly, there isn't really much you can do about that. Legally, the zoo is a public place and parents have a right to be there. If a parent does that, I let them stay. They just can't have any volunteer responsibilities. And the sibling has to behave.

22. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 14, 2012

When we go to the zoo we spilt up into small groups.