field trip ideas

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by minnie, May 12, 2008.

1. minnie

minnie Habitué

May 12, 2008

Hi everyone! I teach all day K in the central san joaquin valley. I am looking for some field trip ideas for my kids next year. I don't want the drive to be too long because they are so long.

Any suggestions?:)

3. minnie

minnie Habitué

May 13, 2008

Let me rephrase the last sentence of my previous post...

I don't want the bus drive to be too long because they are so young.

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

May 14, 2008

I have no idea what is around you, but I take my kiddos to see a play every year. national theatre companies tour the country and come to local theaters to put on shows. I used Theatre Works USA this year and saw "Max and Ruby" (which was awesome!) and I used ArtsPower last year to see "The Rainbow Fish" (also very well done.)
    Both companies come to four different theatres in my area over the course of the year. Maybe you could look into one of them or something similar.

5. MrH

MrH Rookie

May 15, 2008

It's sad to say this, but it depends on the $$ you have available for your class.

Zoo's are always fun, a walk to the park is really cheap (just snacks), pumpkin farms, or any other type of farm, behind the scenes of a grocery store

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

May 16, 2008

Minnie- I don't know where you are in the San Joaquin Valley, but I would love to take my kids to a vineyard during harvest season for raisins, or to a plant to show how they are processed. There are many almond orchards. You can do the same there.

What about the pilot who sprays the crops or a visit to a small local airport?

For more urban places, contact any community college for a play, visit a zoo or aquarium, any animal hospital, mail processing center.

7. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 16, 2008

I don't know about things specific to your area, but take a look at your curriculum.

Do you study community helpers? The go to a post office or grocery store or fire station. Actually, fire fighters will often come to you and let the children get in the truck and learn about all of their gear and fire safety.

We have a conservatory here with butterflies every year and they do a little class and the students each get to take home a caterpillar to observe.

We have a metro park that is a working historical farm and it is free. I know there are many more of those out there.

Some pizza places host field trips where they go and get to see how the restaurant is run and then make their own pizzas.

We do environmental field trips with hiking and exploration in local wooded areas.

We go to local farms - here we have lots of apple farms, pumpkins, and this time of year we have strawberries.

Oh my, I could go on and on.