Field trip from ......

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Elcsmith, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Nov 5, 2008

I have to share this story...It's funny but what a crazy day.

Second grade planned a field trip to see this awesome musical performance. I highly recommend this man. Billy Jonas..look him up!

A second grade teacher was sick and couldn't find a sub. We split her class up between the rest of us and our head count was up by a lot!

Then we were supposed to leave at 9:00 reach our destination at 10:00 have a bathroom break and early lunch and tour the place. We had to be in our seats for the show by 11:15.

We're waiting for the bus drivers to show up and turns out one forgot us....1 hour behind schedule. No problem. We'll leave at 10, get there at 11 have a snack on the bus and then be seated. We would arrive at back at school at 1:30 and the kids would have a late lunch.

All goes as planned.

UNTIL....our bus drivers come to pick us up when the arm at a railroad crossing comes down on top of her bus and breaks off. Thankfully the kids were not in the bus!

Then we had to wait for the police to come out and file a report. So at this point the kids are starving and we had their lunches with us so we made the decision to feed them while they were sitting on the bus. Amazingly enough...no spills or issues.

We were driving down the interstate with 20 minutes to spare when we hit traffic...not slow moving but a stand still...OUCH! Just as we were deciding if we should call parents to pick up their kids or not it started moving!

We roll back into school at 2:35 (which is when buses normally leave the parking lot for dismissal) Book it back to our rooms grab their stuff and miraculously everyone gets home!

Teaching definatly keeps you on your toes!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2008

Sounds like some day!!!

I'm assuming that the arm came down because there was a train coming, not because it malfunctioned, right???

Forgive me if I'm assuming that every place is like Long Island. But in the places that still have those types of railroad crossings, there are flashing lights and bells ringing a good 30 seconds before the rails go down. WHY ON EARTH WAS THE BUS THERE????

I would think very very carefully about getting onto a bus with that particular driver again. We lost 7 kids about 20 years ago when their van was hit by a train-- there was one survivor. I'll never, as long as I live, forget that Saint Paticks Day when so many local high schools were closed so that we could attend two funerals.

No one ever wins a race with a train. The driver was wrong, and incredibly lucky!!!

4. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Nov 5, 2008

It was a malfunction. They've just put in a light rail and are testing all the systems! I should have mentioned that. She's been driving for years.

5. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Nov 5, 2008

Yeah, I've been stuck behind malfunctioning railroad arms on more than one occasion. They lower and then rise, for no reason. Or they stay lowered for minutes with no train in sight before opening up again. Thankfully, I haven't been crunched by one yet!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2008

OK, my sincere apologies.

7. privategirl

privategirl New Member

Nov 5, 2008

How do you get students attention

:) When my students are loud, I would count 123 etc or turn off the lights. I have an inclusive Pre-K classroom.