Field Trip and I am Scared!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by chmelina, May 8, 2008.

1. chmelina

chmelina Rookie

May 8, 2008

Hi. I am a first year teacher...and am going on my first field trip next Tuesday. We are going to a zoo and I am very nervous about how its going to work. There are parents and other chaperones going, as well as the three other first grade teachers. My question is...how do I keep control? How do I make sure that my studemts are keeping up the whole time? Do I buy a rope for them to hold onto? I seriously have issues with this and need some suggestions as to how I can make this a fun and SAFE time. By the way...not sure how many chaperones I will have in my group. Thank you

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 8, 2008

While I am not an elementary teacher, I have been on quite a few field trips as a parent. I think you really need to know how many parents you can expect and then assign each chaperone a group of kids. Give each group some type of group emblem with first names only so chaperones can keep their group together - look for kids with blue fish tags - and chaperones know names of kids. Make sure you print out an itinerary for each chaperone with cell phone numbers of all adults on the field trip including the bus driver. If students bring money, give it to the chaperone in individual envelopes placed in a large envelope. As the teacher, when you are grouping students, you should have the most challenging students in your group. These are types from some of the great field trips and really horrible field trips I have chaperoned. :)

Good Luck and have fun.

4. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

May 8, 2008

I agree with the above. If you don't really have behavior problems and you have enough parents, it is ideal to not have anyone in your group so you can be the go-to person. Field trips are fun, but very exhausting! Good luck!

5. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

May 9, 2008

I am a first year teacher this year and we went to the zoo. I was scared too, but it ended up being really fun and exciting! We had a total of 57 kids going and 12 adults. The night before we all made sure we had our permission slips and we copied them so we had a copy to turn into the office and one for us to put into our backpacks in case there was an emergency then we had the contact numbers. We turned in the actual form that day, in case someone was absent then we could pull them from the stack. We also made prior arrangements with the cafeteria for sack lunches and made sure those that had allergies didn't get peanut butter sandwiches for lunch. Also the night before we took long blank book markers and wriote the adults name on the top and we began listing kids names on them depending on who was their buddy and who they got along with. We kept the potiential kids who sometimes act up with us so that we could monitor them. We went over the rules two days before and each day until the trip. We made rules on chart paper and then referred back to them and added if we needed to. We told the kids the day before to just leave thier backpacks at home since they wouldn't need it. We also each brought an ice chest so that we could put our milks and each kid had a bottle water.
    The day of the field trip we went over the rules again and then took them to the bathroom and then seperated the groups begin sure to give the bookmarker with the names to each of the adults.
    When we got to the zoo it was great the kids did an excellent job of being good. They had lots of safe fun and they really stayed with us. Not one of the kids strayed away from their adult. We made sure they used the bathroom while in the zoo and again when we left and had our lunch right outside in the park. Then we loaded them up again and most of them fell asleep while going home. I can't wait to do it again next year.

Have fun!

P.S. We all had them wear name tags with just the school name and the phone number

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 9, 2008

When I worked for Head Start, our preschoolers went on lots of field trips. One thing that helped was to have the children all wear the Center's gold-colored t-shirt.

Yesterday I was subbing at an elementary school where the kindergarteners were going to the Columbus Zoo. All of the children had white t-shirts with a big red lion on the front. (The lion is the school mascot and their school colors are red and black.) The lettering said - Kindergarten Zoo Trip. Really cute!

7. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

May 9, 2008

Haven't had time to read everyone elses posts but I'll tell you what I've done as a 5th grade teacher and Kinder. teacher. I divide my kids put into groups and give each chaperone a list of "their" group. I keep a list myself so that I know who is supposed to be with who. If I have kids that are behavior problems I keep them with me, or give them one chance...if I hear from their chaperone they are with me the rest of the trip. I wonder around and everyone knows that if there is a problem to come to me.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 9, 2008

Good advice so far. Also be sure that you speak with the parents about your expectations of them on the trip--keep track of their group, follow the itinerary, etc. They should be aware that the expectations for their child are the same as for everyone else--no trips to the gift shop or ice cream cones if no one else gets them.

9. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 11, 2008

You also should make clear to the children what you expect. How you expect them to act in a parking lot, in crossing a road, when there is a break from the lesson (do they just go play or do they need to wait for permission), when someone gives them directions, when they line up can they switch places or do they need to stay in one spot, do they need to hold hands with a partner if they do where do they need to do it, and should their behavior be like school or absolute best behavior. I would advise bringing enough snack for the children and maybe an extra lunch or two for a child who forgot (when I worked in a poorer area I brought a bunch of bananas, a loaf of bread, a jar of jelly and a jar of peanut butter-don't bring pb if there is an allergic child).

10. MrH

MrH Rookie

May 20, 2008

So... today was the big day! How'd it go??