Field Trip Advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by newbie0809, Mar 10, 2016.

1. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Mar 10, 2016

Hello! I have a field trip coming up the 2nd week in April to a museum that will be very interactive for the Kindergarten classes. They pay $5.00 to attend, chaperones pay a discounted rate (allowed 3) and they can ride the bus, if a parent met us there they would pay full price. I have a 3 students who have had behaviors this year as far as tantrums, self control, accepting consequences etc. 2 of the 3 have improved some. The other has only gotten worse. He has tantrums almost daily. When they're sharing an answer or anything he wants to be called on EVERY single time. If I don't choose him he has a crying screaming fit. If he's to go to his seat because he is bothering others on the carpet, he throws a fit. Doesn't accept time away. When he's in that mode he won't listen to anything and will pretty much argue why he's entitled to make the choice he made and that it is my fault he's in trouble. I talk to his grandmother everyday, no change. If it's not a tantrum he's doing anything to get attention positive/negative. I will see him out the corner of my eye doing something, tapping a pencil, touching things he isn't supposed to, etc he will look at me as he's doing it waiting for me to say something. I have tried ignoring, time outs, the art teacher uses a sticker chart, I've given him a booklet with things he can choose to do to calm him down-that lasted about a week.

So the field trip; I decided his grandmother needs to go with him because of these behaviors and I would not want him acting out this way while we're out. The thing is she would take away a chaperone spot of a parent I would rather go and would have to be a chaperone. A parent I want to go would have to meet us there if they could and pay full price. She also would need a background check to go on the field trip but at this point I don't think it would come back in time for her to be an approved chaperone. I've told her I want her to go with him because of his behaviors but I'm not sure if once the day gets here she would actually go and then I would be down a chaperone.

What else can I do?

3. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Mar 11, 2016

I would recommend making the trip as easy as possible, perhaps allowing the grandmother to ride the bus (the most likely place for serious problems) and paying some of the cost of the other parent. Concerning the bus ride, students who are out of their seat or not sitting properly (or climbing around on the inside of the roof as I saw in another school's bus one time) are putting themselves and the others in danger and distracting the driver. Perhaps a school aide or the principal could even tag along. Another possibility is not allowing the student to go due to his constant disruptive behavior. I've experienced three field trips where a misbehaved student could have caused a disaster had I not been there to intervene. I've also heard of parent chaperones not following rules, one time even on a trip I was in charge of. The other thing to keep in mind (I'm sorry to sound alarming) is that on a trip, misbehavior isn't the only thing that can go wrong. It's wise to be prepared for the unexpected. I've experienced a parent suddenly having symptoms of heart problems, a student becoming ill, a museum searching every student's lunch bag for bombs (really! I'm not exaggerating!), and I actually became quite ill during one trip. I would recommend, in today's society, equipping every adult with a cellphone (for emergency use only). When I enter an area with students, I always scan the area with my eyes to be aware of potential problems that probably won't exist in the first place, but again, in today's society, it's best to be alert. Another danger zone I just now recalled, loading and unloading buses can be very dangerous. I've learned not to rely entirely on the destination's loading/unloading procedures. (On some trips, I've seen kids from other schools roaming around high traffic areas!) I'm the teacher, I'm in charge of my students, and I'm careful to have each one standing still in line during these times; I also make sure I'm in a position where I can see each student.

4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 11, 2016

A background check for a family volunteer... good grief.

But in other matters: I would check if the grandmother is interested and available and committing in being a chaperone first thing. That's most practical. If she isn't down being a chaperone but you still want her there for the kiddo ' s sake and your sanity, see if the school will pay for her. If she can't commit to going, I'd let the kid know the expectations and that following them is a requirement for going, then check the school policy to see if you're allowed to leave him behind due to behavior. If he's a stinker and you can leave him back, I'd hold that over his head. Kindergarten is too old for behaving that way. If he's naughty up to the day and you can leave him, do it.

Obadiah likes this.
  5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2016

We would require this as well unless the volunteer is only there to supervise their family member and is not called upon to supervise any other students (even on a quick trip to the washroom).

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 11, 2016

We require background checks for all volunteers and chaperones.

Thank goodness.

I've had not one but two registered sex offenders sign up to be chaperones until they realized a background check was going to be done. Another one had an attempted murder conviction.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 12, 2016

I would suggest her having her own car so she could leave with him if he has a melt down.

Obadiah likes this.